Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flame Retardant fabric spray & microwave bowls (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flame-retardant-fabric-spray-microwave-bowls-t206320.html)

lasparks 11-18-2012 11:57 AM

Flame Retardant fabric spray & microwave bowls

I've been working on the microwave bowls with little success. I've tried everything I can think of and in my microwave (it's really powerful) they catch fire within 3 min. I was thinking of trying some of the flame retardant spray for fabric I found on Amazon. Just wondered if anyone else has had any success with this.

TIA,
Lisa Williams

sewmary 11-18-2012 12:12 PM

Doesn't this tell you something? Quilting stuff in a microwave just isn't a good idea!

And even if the spray would work, what happens when the bowls are washed and the spray is gone?

ghostrider 11-18-2012 12:15 PM

Personally, I wouldn't spray a flame retardant chemical on anything used near food, let alone in a microwave.

How are you making the bowls? Perhaps there's just something within your construction method that needs to be adjusted. Something non-cotton maybe?

Are you by any chance putting them in the microwave empty to "test" them? Guaranteed to flame if you do that. Microwave also has to have a rotating turntable.

sweetana3 11-18-2012 12:16 PM

I would not want the liability for anyone in my family or anyone else using something that is questionable regarding flamability. What if.....it smolders and no one catches it or they try and pull it out of the microwave and their clothing catches on fire.....or .....or.....

joyce888 11-18-2012 12:19 PM

I haven't tried any of fabric bowls just for that very reason. I do heat moist towels in the microwave but on 50% setting and watched closely.

lasparks 11-18-2012 12:27 PM

Everything I'm using is 100% cotton....fabric, thread, batting, everything. I was testing them empty. Didn't think about that being the cause.

I understand about the liability which is why I'm asking all the questions. I've made candles for almost 10 years so I completely understand about testing and liability and not putting a product out to customers unless I'm 100% sure it's reliable.

ghostrider 11-18-2012 12:37 PM

Without a liquid of some sort for the microwaves to concentrate on in the food, they will find tiny amounts of water within the cotton fibers of the batting and set them moving to a state of combustion.

lasparks 11-18-2012 12:44 PM

I just tested it at 3 min with a bowl of water and it worked great. Didn't even get warm. I'm going to grab a potato in a bit (have to run to my neighbors house to get one, haha) and I'll test it longer. Thanks for all the input.

PaperPrincess 11-18-2012 01:43 PM

What batting are you using? The 100% cotton batting made especially for potato bags is recommended. Regular Warm and Natural, has a polyester scrim on top of the cotton batting.

lasparks 11-18-2012 02:12 PM

I am using the one for the potato bags.