Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   flannel blankets (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-blankets-t102706.html)

quilter1943 02-24-2011 11:48 AM

I haven't quilted with flannel but have been told that you can put two pieces together, right sides out, and sew a decorative border. It doesn't need any quilting to hold it together because the flannel sticks to itself. Is this what you do? Does it stay together through washing and drying? Thanks for any info about this.

GagaSmith 02-24-2011 12:05 PM

I have never tried this but i would think the edges would fray.

emerald46 02-24-2011 12:28 PM

We do charity baby quilts w/one side flannel and the other cotten. I wash the flannel twice and only buy very good stuff...because some of it can pill, shrink, and just look yukkie after a second wash. I would think the edges might curl up on themselves even if they didn't fray. Sorry, can you tell it isn't my favorite fabric...lol. I've never done a blanket as you described. I do a decorative stitch around the edges after turning inside out and tie it in a few places with embroidery thread. Did 5 like this and went back to all cotten with flannel as batting.

whereaminow 02-24-2011 01:15 PM

I make flannel blankets for my grandchildren and friends. I take the two pieces of flannel, right sides together, sew all the way around - leaving an opening - turn it right side out, either crochet around the edges or do a blanket stitch. I don't include any batting or quilt it in any way. My daughter absoluetly loves them. She says they are warm, but not bulky. There has never been a problem with the two layers sifting because flannel clings to itself so well. Hope you try it, they will love you for it.

quilter1943 02-24-2011 02:10 PM

Thanks, Beth. I'm going to make a few like that. Noticed flannel is on sale. Jan

Originally Posted by whereaminow
I make flannel blankets for my grandchildren and friends. I take the two pieces of flannel, right sides together, sew all the way around - leaving an opening - turn it right side out, either crochet around the edges or do a blanket stitch. I don't include any batting or quilt it in any way. My daughter absoluetly loves them. She says they are warm, but not bulky. There has never been a problem with the two layers sifting because flannel clings to itself so well. Hope you try it, they will love you for it.

Jannie 02-24-2011 02:44 PM

When you make receiving blankets out of 2 pieces of flannel, it is suggested that you sew a 10" square in the center to keep them lined up. It only takes a couple extra minutes to do.

rexie 02-25-2011 06:11 AM

Our flannel is so expensive, but I love a flannel quilt.

Lindsey 03-06-2011 04:38 AM

My friend does make them the same as whereaminow. She sews rst and then turns and does a blanket stitch around it.

janmwalker 03-06-2011 04:43 AM

I have made several kids size flannel blankets with only one layer of flannel, washing it first and then just doing a crochet around the entire piece. The edges naturally curl as you are working but it comes out nice and never frays. I donate them to our church for the needy families.

flannelqueen 05-24-2011 07:20 AM

I have made a blanket the way you described it. Lay 2 pieces of flannel wrong sides together. Sew around the whole perimeter, leaving about 1/2 inch exposed all the way around. Then clip the edges every 1/2 inch and wash/dry. It will make the edges ragged. I don't sew the middle of the blanket together.