Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel with a Grid (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-grid-t71622.html)

catrancher 10-22-2010 08:47 AM

I'm making a quilted wall-hanging that uses flannel with a printed grid instead of batting. I'm assuming that I need to wash it first, but I'm wondering if that grid will wash off when I do. Has anyone ever used this before? It came without any instructions.

ckcowl 10-22-2010 09:34 AM

clip a little corner that has grid lines and wash it in the sink to see if it washes off. it should not wash out...normally those lines do not show through because they are seam lines you sew on. or if you have the manufacturer on the salvage try to contact them and ask, but i would just test to see if it washes our or not.

amma 10-22-2010 10:20 AM

That is interesting... I hadn't heard of this before. Please let us know how much it shrinks as well as to whether the lines wash out :D:D:D

CompulsiveQuilter 10-22-2010 03:29 PM

Yes, I would like to know about this gridded fabric too - how much time would that save!?!?! How far apart are the lines? Seems like you wouldn't need to wash it for a wall hanging ...

Lacelady 10-22-2010 03:32 PM

There was something on the market like this in the UK about 10 years ago. It was being sold as being useful for a design board, but when I looked at it, the grid lines weren't the same distance apart in both directions. So instead of two inch squares, they were two inches in one direction, and almost two and a quarter inches in the other direction. To me, that made it less useful as a design board, and I didn't buy it.

catrancher 10-22-2010 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by CompulsiveQuilter
Yes, I would like to know about this gridded fabric too - how much time would that save!?!?! How far apart are the lines? Seems like you wouldn't need to wash it for a wall hanging ...

Well, hopefully not, but since it's a gift, I'd like the recipient to be able to wash it if she wanted to. It's doubtful she will though because it has other embellishments on it. Flannel is so notorious for shrinking though that I thought I'd wash it anyway. I'm going to wash the other fabrics too.

catrancher 10-22-2010 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
There was something on the market like this in the UK about 10 years ago. It was being sold as being useful for a design board, but when I looked at it, the grid lines weren't the same distance apart in both directions. So instead of two inch squares, they were two inches in one direction, and almost two and a quarter inches in the other direction. To me, that made it less useful as a design board, and I didn't buy it.

This one appears accurate, although I haven't taken the time to measure it. I'm using it to help line up the seams in the project. It's a sort of uneven checkerboard pattern, but the vertical and horizontal seems are all in straight lines. I didn't even know such a product existed until I started lining up the materials I needed. They also suggested just drawing in the lines yourself, but I thought this would be easier. Besides, I was curious.

As I think about it, flannel is washable without washing away designs, and so I imagine the grid is permanent too. I just thought someone might know and so I posted the question.

catrancher 10-22-2010 04:43 PM

I only found one version with an internet search, and it is a 2-inch grid.

np3 10-22-2010 08:40 PM

Never heard of this!