Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel Material (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-material-t173715.html)

Ritacarl 12-30-2011 08:15 AM

Flannel Material

I got 12 yards of flannel for Christmas. Colors are white, lite and medium blue. 4 yards each. I have never worked with flannel before and am wondering who has and what pattern you have used.
Thanks

tallchick 12-30-2011 08:29 AM

Flannel is great for rag quilts :)........

hperttula123 12-30-2011 08:31 AM

Flannel is nice. I use it alot for quilt backs, but I live in Wisconsin and it gets cold here.

sandybeach 12-30-2011 10:17 AM

I use it a lot for quilt backs also. But I think 4 yards may be a little short. You could put a stripe in the middle of one of the other colors if you have to. It would be lovely for a baby quilt (either front or back). If you starch it well you won't have any trouble using it to piece a front. I think the three colors you have would look great pieced together for the front of a quilt.

luvTooQuilt 12-30-2011 10:23 AM

i made a pinwheel flannel quilt for my daughter- three colors- White, pink and camo pink ( backing is a pink angel flannel) .. ... and yes I put Warm & natural between it for more warmth.. Its gets chilly here in the winters.. I stitch in the ditch quilted it.. Turned out great

Shelbie 12-30-2011 11:22 AM

I put flannel on the backs of quilts and sometimes on the front of baby quilts. Flannel likes to stretch and fray a little so keep the pieces larger and the pattern simple (think Warm Wishes, Rail Fence, framed square). Quilt it fairly closely and make the seams a little wider so they don't pull out. I don't like to tie flannel quilts for the same reason. The ties may tear out as the quilt is washed or pulled. I have also mixed flannel and cotton and that will work too.

Grandma58 12-30-2011 11:27 AM

Lovely, google blue and white quilts, then have fun making a choice. I use flannel all the time and even mix it with the 'normal' quilting cotton, it is all cotton after all.

Grama Chris 12-30-2011 11:32 AM

I have made baby bibs with batting inside, soft & absorbent not like you buy in the stores. Receiving blankets as baby shower gifts, pajamas, fun pants for my grandkids of all sizes. I have made lrg quilts but washed & shrunk the flannel first. My 1st attempt at it was a pattern called "courthouse steps" & it came out beautiful, living in WI also you need to be cuddly warm. The possibilities are endless. :)

Peckish 12-30-2011 12:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I made a brick road quilt and a 9-patch out of flannel. They are both much loved and fought over in my family. I definitely pre-shrunk my fabrics, and I prefer not to quilt them heavily, I think they're softer and drape better with minimal quilting. Just my two cents.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]298898[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]298899[/ATTACH]

Pam B 12-30-2011 12:24 PM

I love, love, love to sew with flannel! I have blocks cut out right now to do 2 raggy quilts...one in Christmas themed flannels and the other in colors to coordinate with our new sofa. They are at the top of my to-do list!