Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FLANNEL VS REGULAR COTTON (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-vs-regular-cotton-t109442.html)

Jennie 03-21-2011 09:15 AM

I've been thinking about using flannel for a backing on a quilt that the front is regular cotton. As a lap quilt I think it would be cozier for napping & such. but am not sure how it might stretch & move differently than the cotton front & if that would cause a problem? Any advise or insight would be appreciated.
Jennie

Sadiemae 03-21-2011 09:17 AM

Flannel is wonderful for the back of quilts. It tends to shrink more than cotton, so I always prewash and dry.

feline fanatic 03-21-2011 09:19 AM

I love a flannel backed quilt. But as Sadiemae advised, I strongly recommending washing and drying first. Flannel tends to have a higher shrink rate than regular cotton quilting fabric.

rdorminy 03-21-2011 09:20 AM

I also love flannel for backings. And I prewash the flannel. Makes a nice cuddly and warm quilt.

Lucio 03-21-2011 09:25 AM

There are some children's charities that request flannel backs because they don't slip off of the beds as readily.

Jennie 03-21-2011 09:27 AM

I wash & dry all my fabric. A habit I picked up from my days of garment construction.
So if I get & use a top feeding foot (can't think of the name) I should be OK?
Jennie

ckcowl 03-21-2011 10:00 AM

i use flannel all the time for quilt backs...pre-wash your flannel toss it in the dryer, then press well it will be just fine...cozy soft and snuggly.
some people seem to really stress over using flannels...i've used flannels in quilts since the early 80's and have never had a problem with shrinkage, stretching, or it not holding up....flannel is wonderful to work with....that being said. i do buy good double sided flannels, not light weight single sided thin (stuff)
i only wash it once, in a normal wash and i toss it into a regular dryer. flannel is a looser weave than regular quilting cottons and the edges will fray more than other fabrics, you can either use a pinking blade or pinking shears to trim the edges that will cut down on the amount of fraying. or you can put it into a mesh bag to launder....i never worry about it , i just toss it in...then when it''s all done i trim the edges and get rid of all the strings...but the strings do stress out some people when they open their dryers..

jljack 03-21-2011 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sadiemae
Flannel is wonderful for the back of quilts. It tends to shrink more than cotton, so I always prewash and dry.

I concur!!! You have to be CAREFUL with this...wash and dry HOT at least 4 times to make the flannel shrink all it will before putting it with cotton.

bakermom 03-21-2011 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jennie
I wash & dry all my fabric. A habit I picked up from my days of garment construction.
So if I get & use a top feeding foot (can't think of the name) I should be OK?
Jennie

You're thinking of a walking foot? I would use one if you have it. I think you will be happier with the results

Ramona Byrd 03-21-2011 01:50 PM

This is a good idea, and this last week I was in my favorite thrift store and found a lovely dark blue flannel sheet that will be perfect for backing on a kid's lap robe I'm finishing. This is the thickest flannel I've ever felt, and it should outlast the rest of the quilt by years!!