Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   flax seed fiberfill (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flax-seed-fiberfill-t14431.html)

quilterj 12-15-2008 02:59 AM

Have never made anything to use the flax seed with. Where do I buy it? I want to make one of cathys scrap catchers.

Jeanette

grammy Dwynn 12-15-2008 05:01 AM

In my area, we have some grocery stores that have bulk foods. If not there check out health food stores. BUT if you can not find any, rice (regular not instant) can be used in its place. I am assuming that this is for a "heating pad"?

Flax seed is more expensive than rice. When heated flax seed does not (I am told) have a oder, rice does, not a bad one (in fact DGD loves the smell of my rice filled heating pad), just a little different.

sew4fun 12-15-2008 06:08 AM

I have seen flax seed at our WalMart.

Cathy M 12-15-2008 07:15 AM

My two cents worth here :):) Go to your 'good food store' or whatever its called in your area. Buy RAW BUCKWHEAT GROATS.... buckwheat holds the heat better and longer, doesn't smell and lasts forever. If you get a wild hair for a certain scent (i.e. lavendar) the buckwheat will take the scent great. I make tons of these bags every winter. Can heat them in the microwave for 3-5 minutes and they are awesome.

quilterj 12-15-2008 07:58 AM

Cathy have you used sscents in there? Where did you get the scents?

Cathy M 12-15-2008 11:29 AM

I have used scents in a bunch of mine. I've saved rose petals from our roses and added a bit of the rose oil to them and tossed them in the buckwheat bags. Also lavendar is very popular, so I use some dried lavendar flowers and also a bit of the oil. I've bought the oils from our health food store, from Michaels and Joanns. You can mix crushed cloves, nutmeg, cinammon, etc. or even cut up vanilla beans. Whatever makes you happy :) :):) Its one way to clean out your spice cupboard hahahaa.

SulaBug 12-15-2008 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by sew4fun

I have looked in our Walmart & can't find any. What department did you find the flax seed in ? :)

Thank you,
Cheryl

sew4fun 12-15-2008 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by SulaBug

Originally Posted by sew4fun

I have looked in our Walmart & can't find any. What department did you find the flax seed in ? :)

Thank you,
Cheryl

It was near the flour area I think. At least I think it was flax seed. Is there such a thing as flx flour? Probably will go there tomorrow and I will check for sure. :)

quilterj 12-15-2008 01:58 PM

Cathy what do you mean when you say that you can find buckwheat in your good food store? We have Ingles, Krogers, Publix and Walmart. We also have a few big farmers markets that sell from meat to all kinds of international foods and american of course. Do you think I need to go the farmers market?

SulaBug 12-15-2008 01:58 PM

Thank you for your information. I looked in the vitamins, but not the baking section!! :D I will check it out too.

Thank you,
Cheryl