Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Floating the top? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/floating-top-t195701.html)

quiltingweb 07-25-2012 07:42 AM

Floating the top?

A friend has given me a quilt to quilt. I have a long-arm machine. My question is...the top and back are about the same size, both are pieced with different block sizes and fabrics. The back is about an inch wider than the top. I've added muslin fabric to the top and bottom of the back of the quilt so I can attach it to my leaders.

Should I float the top so I can adjust as I go, or do I attach it to the roller? I've floated the top before on quilts, but I've always had a generous backing fabric and wiggle room. I just don't know what the best way to do this. I know that sometimes, if the tension is different for the top and back, you can end up with more or less top or bottom when you're done...but if I attach it to the rollers, I know I will stay straight and square.

Any thoughts?

I've also seen some beautiful free-form feathering that I'd like to try, but I'm wondering if, because the back and top are both pieced, different fabrics and blocks, if just an over-all meandering is better, nice, nondescript, blendy...

Sometimes I know exactly what to do, sometimes I agonize forever...waiting for the quilt to speak to me, but this one is keeping quiet.

Barbara

DebraK 07-25-2012 08:43 AM

I think you are in for some aggravation on this one.

quiltingweb 07-25-2012 09:43 AM

Oh dear...I hope not too much. I'll have to let you know

DebraK 07-25-2012 10:05 AM

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have sounded so discouraging. I just recently did a quilt with a narrow backing, and it was no fun for me. I got it done, but I wrestled with it, and yes, I floated the top. Good luck! You are probably a more accomplished quilter than I am.

garysgal 07-25-2012 10:43 AM

I have only floated the top a couple of times and everytime I came out a little crooked. So I mainly now just attach everything singly to the leaders. It works best for me.

PaperPrincess 07-25-2012 10:44 AM

My sister gave me a quilt with a backing that was too small also. I did the same as you, adding muslin to the top and bottom. Then I hemmed 2 pieces of muslin, about 18" long and 12" wide. As I advanced the quilt, I pinned these 'side leaders' to the edges of the backing. I matched the edge of the muslin piece to the edge of the backing, pinned about 1/2 inch from the edge, then flipped the muslin over and attached the clamps to the muslin. After I quilted that section, I unpinned the side pieces advanced the quilt and pinned the next section, It took some extra time to do this, but wasn't horribly bad. Used lots of pins to make sure that I had even tension. I also floated the top. I just did an overall meander and was careful at the edges.

Gramie bj 07-25-2012 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5393525)
My sister gave me a quilt with a backing that was too small also. I did the same as you, adding muslin to the top and bottom. Then I hemmed 2 pieces of muslin, about 18" long and 12" wide. As I advanced the quilt, I pinned these 'side leaders' to the edges of the backing. I matched the edge of the muslin piece to the edge of the backing, pinned about 1/2 inch from the edge, then flipped the muslin over and attached the clamps to the muslin. After I quilted that section, I unpinned the side pieces advanced the quilt and pinned the next section, It took some extra time to do this, but wasn't horribly bad. Used lots of pins to make sure that I had even tension. I also floated the top. I just did an overall meander and was careful at the edges.

I like your system! Going to try it on the next one! Thanks!

quiltingweb 07-26-2012 05:16 AM

Yes, great ideas. So far, it's going well...I'm just floating the top and adjusting as I go, keeping the stitching lines of the blocks parallel and easing in any fullness of the border, gently, as I go, slowly.

bearisgray 07-26-2012 06:23 AM

Sounds like this is a work in progress now

Would it have been possible/feasible to have also sewn long strips of muslin to the sides of the backing also to get it to be more manageable?

quiltingweb 07-26-2012 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray (Post 5395639)
Sounds like this is a work in progress now

Would it have been possible/feasible to have also sewn long strips of muslin to the sides of the backing also to get it to be more manageable?

I have a little wiggle room with the sides...about an inch on each side, so I wasn't too worried about the sides, just the top and bottom so I had something to pin to my leaders. I have about an inch on each side and I'm keeping that uniform as I move my way down the quilt...which I really should get to. My girls and I had breakfast out on the deck this morning in the gazebo...what a great morning here in MN. Finally cool enough to enjoy the morning...