Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Floor Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/floor-quilts-t210230.html)

mucky 01-06-2013 04:30 PM

I do floor quilts for babies to lay and play on.

sassey 01-06-2013 08:37 PM

I have done a small floor quilt out of scraps to pratice free motion quilting I have also done a floor quilt where you glue on the fabric to canvas except I used the back side of heavy home dec. fabric and applied non skid material to the back then on top you use mod pog on top 2 or 3 coats then put a sealer on top of that I did not like it as I prefer a softer rug I have no pictures of it but did use for over 3 years.

gspsplease 01-07-2013 04:16 AM

Like Mucky, I make floor quilts for babies to play on, and specifically tell the recipients that the quilt is not valuable, heirloom etc (usually I just use a panel and do some work around it). They are great for me to practise FMQ, and wonderful for mothers when they go visiting with the new baby. No need to worry about dust, dog/cat hair etc on the floor -- the baby has somewhere clean and safe to be on, and later to use inside the playpen to protect your home carpet from spills and accidents.

Mkotch 01-07-2013 04:40 AM

I use worn out bathmats and large towels as the back for rugs made of quilt blocks. Sometimes I put batting in between, sometimes not, depending on the weight of the towel/mat. Works well and washes well, too.

quilttiger 01-07-2013 05:05 AM

If this is doable, consider painting quilt designs right on the floor! Perfect for a kid's room or even a sewing room:D !

How fun!

GammaLou 01-07-2013 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 5767196)
I, on the other hand, will need some time to come to grips with acceptance of quilts on the floor!:shock:
I'm just getting into "modern" quilts, for Pete's sake; I'm an 'old girl' and find change harder and harder to deal with, LOL!!
Now "Floor Cloths" that are painted as quilts I could really get into, or painted concrete floors.:)

Jan in VA

I'm with you Jan....can't see me walking on a quilt!

MaggieLou 01-07-2013 06:34 AM

I've made several. They aren't hard to do just a little time consuming but then so are regular quilts. I painted the back of the canvas with a non-slip material. I made mine as mats to go under the dog bowls. I could customize them any way I wanted. PM me if you want more info.

These aren't fabric quilts that are sandwiched and quilted. They are fabric glued to artist's canvas. You glue the fabric to the canvas then seal it with several coats of polyurethane and use a non-slip paint on the back. They are very stiff but can be rolled up. If properly taken care of they will last for years.

QuiltE 01-07-2013 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by MaggieLou (Post 5768643)
I've made several. They aren't hard to do just a little time consuming but then so are regular quilts. I painted the back of the canvas with a non-slip material. I made mine as mats to go under the dog bowls. I could customize them any way I wanted. PM me if you want more info.

These aren't fabric quilts that are sandwiched and quilted. They are fabric glued to artist's canvas. You glue the fabric to the canvas then seal it with several coats of polyurethane and use a non-slip paint on the back. They are very stiff but can be rolled up. If properly taken care of they will last for years.

MaggieLou ... could you please tell me more about the non-slip paint on material?
Where do you get it?
Any identifiers to help get the right stuff?
Brand name? which may or may not be helpful, being that we may not have the same here in Canada.
Please and thanks!

Jingle 01-07-2013 08:51 AM

No way would allow my quilts to be walked on. I have heard of painting a quilt on a floor but no way wouldI use a real cloth quilt. Just me.

MaggieLou 01-07-2013 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE (Post 5768877)
MaggieLou ... could you please tell me more about the non-slip paint on material?
Where do you get it?
Any identifiers to help get the right stuff?
Brand name? which may or may not be helpful, being that we may not have the same here in Canada.
Please and thanks!

The name is Saf-T-Bak it's rug backing compound. It's made by Testworth Laboratories, Inc. in Columbia City, Indiana. If you don't have it in Canada try Googling "rug backing compound" and see what comes up. I ordered it from JoAnn's but I think you can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot. You just paint it on, two light coats, let it dry 24 hours between coats before using. I think I just used a foam brush to apply it.