Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fluffy Quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fluffy-quilts-t133717.html)

Joy Higdon 06-28-2011 02:33 AM

I like fluffy quilts. In the past I bought Extra Loft polyester batting and they would be fluffy. Now when I use it they feel as if you just quilted the top and backing, so thin. If there has been a thread on batting that will make a quilt fluffy, would you please share the link? Thanks

quilticing 06-28-2011 03:19 AM

Do you want a comforter? That would take a 6-10 oz. fat batting. Dream Cotton Wool is 1/4" and very light.

Barb44 06-28-2011 03:43 AM

I too like fluffy quilts and had the same problem. I finally found a poly batting at a LQS that was an inch thick. And it was cheaper than the prepackaged 'fat batts.' Otherwise there are a couple of companies that make fat batts. You will probably have to order them online though.

blueangel 06-28-2011 04:23 AM

I also like fluffy quilts.

skippitydodahquilts 06-28-2011 08:05 AM

Have you tried a wool batting? I always recommend wool over polyester...I always feel like I'm wrapping myself up in plastic with poly... :shock:

jmabby 06-28-2011 08:06 AM

I like fluffy quilts, thats why I always feel some of the machine quilting is done too close, makes he quilt feel stiff, sorry hope I don't hurt feelings here.

Joy Higdon 06-28-2011 01:35 PM

No, not a comforter. An example is when I do a landscape and quilt it with stippling it feels as if there is no batting. I just had a quilt quilted and I purchased the poly High Loft and it is so thin. I guess I grew up with quilts that were thick and heavy. Although here in Florida we don't need the warmth. I guess I am weird but I have always loved poly batting. I use to get Fat Batt or something like that which made quilts thick but light.

quilterj 06-28-2011 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon
No, not a comforter. An example is when I do a landscape and quilt it with stippling it feels as if there is no batting. I just had a quilt quilted and I purchased the poly High Loft and it is so thin. I guess I grew up with quilts that were thick and heavy. Although here in Florida we don't need the warmth. I guess I am weird but I have always loved poly batting. I use to get Fat Batt or something like that which made quilts thick but light.

Sounds like what my husband has described to me of how is grandmother used to make quilts.Although living in the north they wanted them to be thicker. She passed many years ago so I am not sure exactly what he wants either. To me it sounded like he was talking about a comforter but he said that it was a thick quilt.

amma 06-29-2011 09:53 AM

Maybe the packaging was mislabeled? I see batting out here advertised from low to high loft, and the high loft is very thick :D:D:D

amma 06-29-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by quilterj

Originally Posted by Joy Higdon

Sounds like what my husband has described to me of how is grandmother used to make quilts.Although living in the north they wanted them to be thicker. She passed many years ago so I am not sure exactly what he wants either. To me it sounded like he was talking about a comforter but he said that it was a thick quilt.

Were they heavy feeling or light?
I have seen some that had to have had two or more layers of high loft batting, and some with one layer of high loft and a wool blanket added in to for extra warmth and weight :D:D:D