Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ - despair! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-despair-t106748.html)

Izy 03-11-2011 01:46 AM

I have the Janome 9000, old model now. Are you new to free motion? If so it could be that you are whipping around the curves too quickly, which creates 'the eyelash' effect on the back. I was so frustrated when this was happening to me, until a more experience sewer explained that this was in fact one of the 'lessons' she taught and I was a natural LOL Since I slowed down when going around a curve.. (think big head little neck, big head little neck...when meandering!) My tension issues improved amazingly!

I have also found it SO much better slowing down my machine speed to half speed which gives you more time to plan ahead so you are not panicking when you come close to another row of stitching. My stitch length is becoming more even too.

Of course it may not be this at all but something to consider ;)

annesthreads 03-11-2011 04:29 AM

Can you go into a dealership or to a quilt show at one point and have an FMQ on a different machine? That would reassure you that it wasn't YOU? :-D[/quote]
Well,things have moved on a bit this morning, because I did exactly as you suggest here. I had to collect my Mum's sewing machine, which I've just had serviced, so I asked again about FMQ. This time the dealer who in the past has told me it must be my fault almost admitted that the Janome is not ideal for FMQ. I tried 2 Berninas and a Brother machine, and produced not perfect but quite acceptable FMQ on all of them. I nearly cried when I saw the results - for so long I've been blaming myself and thinking I must be exceptionally incompetent: to see the stitching that I'd produced, with no loops on the back, was just so reassuring.
It's going to take a while to make the decision about choosing a new machine, but at least I now know that that is the right way forward. In the meantime I'll try some of the suggestions on here, including buying the bobbin case for the Janome, as I really don't like being defeated!

annesthreads 03-11-2011 04:32 AM

If so it could be that you are whipping around the curves too quickly, which creates 'the eyelash' effect on the back. I was so frustrated when this was happening to me, until a more experience sewer explained that this was in fact one of the 'lessons' she taught and I was a natural LOL Since I slowed down when going around a curve.. (think big head little neck, big head little neck...when meandering!) My tension issues improved amazingly!

I have also found it SO much better slowing down my machine speed to half speed which gives you more time to plan ahead so you are not panicking when you come close to another row of stitching. My stitch length is becoming more even too.

Thanks for this, I recognise all that you describe and not keeping my movement steady on curves has certainly been a factor. But NONE of my stitches have been OK - the top thread comes through all the time.

Izy 03-11-2011 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads
If so it could be that you are whipping around the curves too quickly, which creates 'the eyelash' effect on the back. I was so frustrated when this was happening to me, until a more experience sewer explained that this was in fact one of the 'lessons' she taught and I was a natural LOL Since I slowed down when going around a curve.. (think big head little neck, big head little neck...when meandering!) My tension issues improved amazingly!

Thanks for this, I recognise all that you describe and not keeping my movement steady on curves has certainly been a factor. But NONE of my stitches have been OK - the top thread comes through all the time.

In some respects I am glad that you now know at least that it is not down to your 'incompetence' but bad news about your machine.. it isn't right that you were 'kept in the dark' about Janome's not being the best on the market for free motion!

:shock:

annesthreads 03-11-2011 05:04 AM

In some respects I am glad that you now know at least that it is not down to your 'incompetence' but bad news about your machine.. it isn't right that you were 'kept in the dark' about Janome's not being the best on the market for free motion!

:shock:[/quote]

..or not my Janome, anyway. I know that many people are very enthusiastic about the higher-end models, that are truly designed for quilting. I suspect that the one I have is basically an embroidery machine with "QE" added to the model number and a walking foot thrown in! Not a good strategy, because when I buy a new machine I will be very wary of Janome now, however good the reviews.

SuzyQ 03-11-2011 05:22 AM

I've never tried it but I've heard people talk about the Bobbin Genie (I think that's the name). It's a disc that you put in with your bobbin. I'm not sure what types of bobbin cases it works with.

Susan

Izy 03-11-2011 05:29 AM

:shock:

..or not my Janome, anyway. I know that many people are very enthusiastic about the higher-end models, that are truly designed for quilting. I suspect that the one I have is basically an embroidery machine with "QE" added to the model number and a walking foot thrown in! Not a good strategy, because when I buy a new machine I will be very wary of Janome now, however good the reviews.[/quote]

No doubt you are right, mine is an embroidery machine too...I have been looking at buying another machine purely for free motion..oh but the price!!!

:shock: :roll: :lol:

annesthreads 03-11-2011 08:47 AM

No doubt you are right, mine is an embroidery machine too...I have been looking at buying another machine purely for free motion..oh but the price!!!

:shock: :roll: :lol:[/quote]

I know! I just have to tell myself that if I can get the right machine it'll make me happy for the rest of my life! And if I have to find a 4 figure sum - so be it. After all the traumas I've had with this one, I just want something reliable that I can enjoy.

Izy 03-11-2011 09:08 AM

:shock: :roll: :lol:

I know! I just have to tell myself that if I can get the right machine it'll make me happy for the rest of my life! And if I have to find a 4 figure sum - so be it. After all the traumas I've had with this one, I just want something reliable that I can enjoy.[/quote]

Absolutely, I was looking at a pfaff 1200 grand quilter as it has more space for the quilt....

annesthreads 03-11-2011 09:42 AM

Absolutely, I was looking at a pfaff 1200 grand quilter as it has more space for the quilt....[/quote]

I dream of a Bernina Aurora...