Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ learning curve - try what? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-learning-curve-try-what-t220712.html)

JanTx 05-04-2013 04:37 PM

I think I'm getting closer. In another year who knows where I'll be, but I'm not where I was. :)

deedum 05-04-2013 05:15 PM

Your free motion looks great to me. I quilt my own too, just because I want too. Mine aren't as pretty as along arm but I do the best I can.

QuiltE 05-04-2013 06:41 PM

JanTx ... your work looks really great

The Janome 6600 is a great machine. Til I had it, I had no use for FMQ, as it just didn't seem to click for me. What made the difference for me was ... the blue dot bobbin case as well as the FMQ special packet of three interchangeable feet. I really liked the clear plastic foot. With these, I seldom had problems with the back threads.

You didn't mention whether you have these or not ..... so I thought I would suggest them to you.

Another suggestion for all ... when you are changing things to get it right, only make one change at a time. If you make more, you have no idea what works, or what doesn't. Trying different variables can be time consuming, but at least you know.

Though, with the above extra accessories, it took very little effort to get my machine set up whenever I wanted to FMQ.

JanTx 05-04-2013 06:43 PM

I do have the blue dot bobbin case - but have better luck with the red dot one. Go figure. I also have the clear foot - that works great for me.

JanTx 05-04-2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx (Post 6044859)
I do have the blue dot bobbin case - but have better luck with the red dot one. Go figure. I also have the clear foot - that works great for me.

Okay - went back and traded out the red dot bobbin case for the blue and --- those back stitches are as perfect as I think I'm going to get. One of the variables I had changed was using the regular case- the red dot - since the blue one - made for FMQ with slightly looser tension - didn't seem to be working as well. Now that I may have the other variables in place putting that one back in was the strawberry on the sundae. QuiltE - thanks for pushing that one little step farther along the way!

Grace creates 05-04-2013 07:44 PM

this quilting looks fine to me,, i am not seeing a problem

EasyPeezy 05-04-2013 08:05 PM

Thanks, Jan. I really want to try FMQ again. Last time I tried I couldn't even sew a
straight line without having all kinds of nests at the bottom.

QuiltE 05-04-2013 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by JanTx (Post 6044921)
Okay - went back and traded out the red dot bobbin case for the blue and --- those back stitches are as perfect as I think I'm going to get. One of the variables I had changed was using the regular case- the red dot - since the blue one - made for FMQ with slightly looser tension - didn't seem to be working as well. Now that I may have the other variables in place putting that one back in was the strawberry on the sundae. QuiltE - thanks for pushing that one little step farther along the way!

Oh please don't see it as pushing .... you hadn't mentioned it or the extra feet, and I know a lot of people with the 6600s have never been told by their dealers that they are available. Keep up the great work.

JanTx 05-04-2013 08:18 PM

You "pushed" me to the strawberry on top of the sundae! (Should have been cherry, but oh well.) I was ready to turn this machine back in - somehow - and it was such a big deal to break down and get it. Slowing down my changes - doing one thing at a time - and listening to the fine folk on here - each one a tiny little nudge in the right direction. Thanks!

QuiltE 05-05-2013 04:55 AM

Cherries on Sundaes are always good .... just don't forget the whipped cream, first!