Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ is NOT for me (at least not right now!) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-not-me-least-not-right-now-t73144.html)

Doda 10-30-2010 03:03 AM

Hi everyone,

I have been making quilt tops and taking them to a LAQ which can get pretty expensive if you are making gifts for Xmas. I have tired FMQ and just can't get the hang of it. I know that "Stitching in the ditch" is an option, but is there any other way? Something that I could do on my own sewing machine? Tutorials would help.

Thanks..

Doda

craftybear 10-30-2010 03:37 AM

you could do echo quilting

janRN 10-30-2010 04:41 AM

Doda I've been trying FMQ for 2 yrs (I'm sure people on this board of tired of me whining about it) and I just can't get it. I've practiced and the practice pieces are fine. I try it on the real thing, thread and needle break.
I've about given up. I draw a quilting pattern (just did holly leaves) on the top, and then just quilt on whatever I've drawn. That works for me. Maybe some of us are just never going to be FMQers!! I don't drop my feeddogs or use a darning foot-just sew over my design with reg sewing foot.

deedum 10-30-2010 05:29 AM

I didn't think I would EVER get the hang of it! I tried and tried and tried and tried, then one day it clicked in my brain and wala! I love it! So keep trying! It helps if you can practice everyday for a bit and also use the start button on yr machine vs the foot pedal (if you have one)

nativetexan 10-30-2010 06:10 AM

i don't know. i was about to give it up but am taking a class on the 19th. the quilt i did yesterday, i just did diagonal lines across the quilt blocks. still have to do something in the border though.
sometimes FMQ works well, most times not.

quiltin chris 10-30-2010 06:13 AM

Free motion quilting on my machine is hard for me too.

I just need to practice more. That's what everyone says.

I have done some stitch in the ditch--that's not too hard but it's kind of like invisible quilting. Noone sees it.

You can always stipple--large or small.

Good luck with whatever you try.

Chris

erstan947 10-30-2010 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by janRN
Doda I've been trying FMQ for 2 yrs (I'm sure people on this board of tired of me whining about it) and I just can't get it. I've practiced and the practice pieces are fine. I try it on the real thing, thread and needle break.
I've about given up. I draw a quilting pattern (just did holly leaves) on the top, and then just quilt on whatever I've drawn. That works for me. Maybe some of us are just never going to be FMQers!! I don't drop my feeddogs or use a darning foot-just sew over my design with reg sewing foot.

I'm in the same boat. This seems to work best for me also.

DebraK 10-30-2010 07:43 AM

Have you looked at Mary Mashuta's book "Foolproof Machine Quilting"?

Katrine 10-30-2010 07:53 AM

It is worth persevering with the practice - I spent months and months on practice squares. And practising shapes etc with pencil and paper alot really works and makes it easier when you go to the machine, you will find you have a more fluid movement. If you dont have a speed control, try blocking the descent of the foot control pedal to limit the speed a little which helps with control.
Most fmq'ers still "warm up" before starting on a quilt.

RST 10-30-2010 08:05 AM

You could tie or tack -- two techniques that have their own charm.

You could resort to fusible batting (though I personally hate that stuff).

You could barter with another quilter who does like FMQ and come up with a trade in services.

RST