Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQ Problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-problem-t174317.html)

Blackberry 01-03-2012 01:53 PM

FMQ Problem

2 Attachment(s)
I have only tried FMQ a couple of times because I just can't seem to get the backing to look good. This is a baby quilt that I am working on and as you can see the top part of the quilt looks fairly good around the little lamb but if you turn it over it has all of these wrinkles. I had this nice and straight when I started the FMQ so I am wondering what is the problem. I think I would like to do more FMQ if I could figure out how to get the backing looking nice with no big tucks, etc.

barny 01-03-2012 02:00 PM

Are you using a walking foot? they are really needed to FMQ

morelcabin 01-03-2012 02:01 PM

The problem is that you seem to be outlining the squares before you FMQ. With FMQ I always start in the middle of my quilt and work my way out, it pushes all the wrinkles out with it. Any stitch in the ditch you want to do should be done after the center of that particular square is filled in.

morelcabin 01-03-2012 02:02 PM

No, walking feet are not for FMQ...darning feet or FMQ feet are

woody 01-03-2012 02:04 PM

How did you baste you quilt before you started quilting?
Also maybe try the FMQ, starting from the centre and working outwards first before you stitch in the ditch around the blocks.

deemail 01-03-2012 02:09 PM

right, darning foot, or no foot (many fmq and embroidery people do no feet)...BUT presser lever DOWN, (it simply will NOT work when lever is up) and gardening gloves or hoop on top, holding down and moving at the same time.... the outline is fine to do first, it keeps it straighter, but you MUST have the layers smooth and basted or pin basted to do this....

I prefer basting...set top tension down to about 2...looser than normal, sew work in 4" squares, keeping smooth on all layers while basting....now RESET tension....do not forget!!! and FMQ till all is well and then on the back...pull the bobbin thread out...it will be really flat on the back and not 'in the layers' from the loose top tension.... once the bobbin thread is out, the top will come off in huge long lengths... it would not be good for seaming this way but it holds everything in place realllllly better than a pin here or there.... just try on a small sample and see what i mean...

auntpiggylpn 01-03-2012 02:11 PM

If you are really Free Motion Quilting, you can not use a walking foot! Make sure your feed dogs are down and/or covered and use a darning foot or a FMQ foot. Also, I agree with not sewing a square around your motif first. Do the FMQ and then do the square.

1000projects 01-03-2012 02:13 PM

For your next quilt, isuggest fusiblebatting or spray basting... Itwill help lots!

Tartan 01-03-2012 02:13 PM

I know you will get tons of personal preferences but I could not get a decent back on my domestic sewing machine until I started using Hobbs 80/20 fusible batt. I have done up to a twin size quilt with no puckers. I imagine that if you use the 505 fusible spray that you would get the same result with no wrinkles. I can't use sprays due to allergies. I also found that polyester batt slips more than cotton or cotton blend batt. Just my opinion, some people love polyester. Try a few different things and find out what you like best.

Buckeye Rose 01-03-2012 04:21 PM

I use Dritz spray basting and never have to start in the middle....the trick is to have the backing tight and straight before you start sewing....once it is spray basted in place, it will not move, then you can sew wherever you want.....once I discovered spray basting, I will never pin again.....feed dogs down, darning/quilting foot (no walking foot unless doing straight line sewing) presser foot down, pedal to the metal and go!