Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fmq stitching problem (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-stitching-problem-t110167.html)

Fancy Nancy 03-23-2011 05:40 PM

my machine stitches fine doing piecing - no skipped stitches etc. But when I put my FMQ foot on it stitches along fine for a few stitches and then the top thread quits picking up the bottom thread and end up with one very long stitch or quits stitching all together. have rethreaded machine, bobbin, etc but no help? any suggestions?

maine ladybug 03-23-2011 05:41 PM

It may just be the needle you are using. Did you change it to a quilting needle?

suebee 03-23-2011 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
my machine stitches fine doing piecing - no skipped stitches etc. But when I put my FMQ foot on it stitches along fine for a few stitches and then the top thread quits picking up the bottom thread and end up with one very long stitch or quits stitching all together. have rethreaded machine, bobbin, etc but no help? any suggestions?

Be sure your feed dogs are down. Find a comfortable speed on your machine (and make a note) then dont try moving the fabric too fast. You have to find your groove...the perfect machine speed combined with the perfect movement of the fabric. All that can cause the skipped stitches. I hate to tell you this but it really is practice practice practice. Just keep pluggin along:)

Stitchnripper 03-23-2011 05:49 PM

I'm with Suebee - there is definitely a "sweet spot" between the speed of your machine and the movement of the fabric. And of course all the advice about needle, threading, etc. Mostly lots of practicing.

Fancy Nancy 03-23-2011 05:51 PM

stitching very very slowly and still does it and did put in quilting needle. sooo frustrating -

suebee 03-23-2011 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
stitching very very slowly and still does it and did put in quilting needle. sooo frustrating -

You might be going too slow as well. I set my machine speed about 1/2 way, then I have all the control in the movement of my fabric. Unfortunately you cant go too fast or too slow. You can do it. I have faith!

knlsmith 03-23-2011 06:00 PM

also, try a ball point needle instead of a sharp and loosen your top tension a tad when FMQ'ing. and yes, there is a definite sweet spot between you moving the fabric and the speed of the machine.

thepolyparrot 03-23-2011 06:01 PM

It sounds like maybe the presser foot isn't down or the pressure on the presser foot isn't sufficient.

Did you use basting spray or is your quilt pinned?

pamkasperi 03-23-2011 06:18 PM

Things I learned:

Put feed dogs down
make sure FMQ part is screwed on tight - mine was loose
lengthen stiches
reduce tension
don't go too slow
make sure the material glides across your sewing arm
manually put your needle down and then up while holding the top thread to pull the bobbin thread through then stitch 2 or 3 stiches in place and then trim both threads
ball point needle
Don't move the material too fast - in fact don't move the material - slide/glide the material around your work surface - everytime I "move" the material I get skipped stitches or the bobbin thread comes up top

That's all the newbie tricks I learned last week!

BETTY62 03-23-2011 06:21 PM

I did not know you needed a special needle for quilting. Is this for FMQ only?