Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fmq (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmq-t176028.html)

sewlo 01-17-2012 05:11 PM

Fmq

I just purchased a Juki 2010Q and would like to try FMQ. I purchased the gloves, and quilted a few scraps today. Does anyone have any suggestions for me other than practice? Should I purchase anything other than the gloves?
Thanks

lfstamper 01-17-2012 05:13 PM

Google Leah Day's website - she has amazing tips. Practice a lot and relax.

buslady 01-17-2012 05:13 PM

Use a hopping foot, anjd practice, practice, practice!!! I'm still practicing.

nannyrick 01-17-2012 05:17 PM

I,m still practicing, and the thing I love is the Supreme Slider for FMQ.
Leah Day recommends it, and I find it so much easier to move your fabric
around. Good luck.
Oh, and by the way, I have the Juki 2010q and simply love it. I,m sure you
will too.

quiltinggirl 01-17-2012 05:21 PM

When I first start FMQ, I purchased the gloves from Fons & Porter and they worked great! However, I have since found that the "finger grippers" work best for me (bought them from Connecting Threads and I'm am sure other places sell them as well). Just like everyone else states, practice, practice, practice! :) Remember not to be so hard on yourself in the beginning because you'll get better as you go along. Good luck and post pics of your progress!

retta97 01-17-2012 05:50 PM

Yes as everyone has told you go to www.DayStyleDesigns.com it's Leah's site I have just started to do FMQ myself and I bought her DVDs for Free Motion Quilting Basics for beginners and my FMQ has improved a lot! I am now waiting for my Slider to arrive from where I purchused it from E Bay for 25.00 and that included shipping.Leah shows you how to adapt a generic hopping foot for FMQ and it does work!Also thread use Polester thread which I use for machine embroidery and you can buy at JoAnns.I also use Fons And Porters gloves but am looking to get the ones she suggests
To be only in her 20's she can FMQ,and she gives advice on what to use for the most of your money..

KimS 01-17-2012 06:29 PM

Listen to your machine. I can tell by the sound when I've hit that "sweet spot" where my hands and machine are at just the right speed to make decent stitches. I've done a few quilts but still get nervous when I get ready to start one. Also....be sure and breathe!!! You'll be surprised how often you find yourself holding your breath.

michelehuston 01-17-2012 06:42 PM

I made the juki 98 e purchase and haven't taken it out of the box to practice...too much of a chicken!!!

JEM65 01-17-2012 07:04 PM

I just got a new Juki and am getting ready to begin FMQ on it......that beginner's fear is always with me! LOL!

Grambi 01-17-2012 09:21 PM

Make sure that you are sitting high enough, or you sewing surface is low enough that you aren't hunching up your shoulders or you'll end up with very sore neck and shoulder muscles.