Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Folder Border questions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/folder-border-questions-t185090.html)

WTxRed 04-05-2012 06:30 AM

Folder Border questions

In looking at potential patterns, I just ran across one that calls for a 'Folded Border'. I read the directions, I googled it - I have to say I still don't 'get' it. Is this method for a double thickness border? Is it for structural or aesthetic purposes? It read to me like you sew it to the quilt body first (raw edges) then sew the next border to the folded edge or am i really missing something?
Thanks in advance -

Jan in VA 04-05-2012 06:42 AM

Can you link us to the site you read? I'm thinking you're talking about adding a flange border between the final border and body of the quilt, or somewhere in the several borders of a quilt. I'm also thinking all borders, flange or not, should be sewn raw edge to raw edge, rather than to a folded edge.

Jan in VA

Tartan 04-05-2012 06:51 AM

I am not sure if it is a flange effect for a border? If it is,Charismah has a very good tutorial on here under...Quick machine binding with flange. Put the title in the search feature and see if this is what they mean. If it is a fold of fabric that you sew the next border to? I don't know why this would be necessary.

WTxRed 04-05-2012 12:01 PM

Hi and thank you both - I don't have the magazine with me (am at work) and of course I don't remember which magazine or the pattern. If you google it - there are a ton of links. I did look up flange border, and even some threads in QB. And I do believe that is the closest I can come to it - its not for binding but in the border. It appears to be piping without the cord so its basically decoration. Somewhere I read someone's post or comment that they had stopped doing them because, with machine quilting, there was no good way to get 'over' the folded border and stitching across it wasn't really an intended option.
Again thank you both!

QuiltE 04-05-2012 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by WTxRed (Post 5118974)
Hi and thank you both - I don't have the magazine with me (am at work) and of course I don't remember which magazine or the pattern. If you google it - there are a ton of links. I did look up flange border, and even some threads in QB. And I do believe that is the closest I can come to it - its not for binding but in the border. It appears to be piping without the cord so its basically decoration. Somewhere I read someone's post or comment that they had stopped doing them because, with machine quilting, there was no good way to get 'over' the folded border and stitching across it wasn't really an intended option.
Again thank you both!

Yes, you wouldn't stitch over it ... rather you would quilt up to it and once that centre portion was completed, then you would start quilting everything the other side of the flange. That might even be a different style of quilting to what the inside quilting is.

Ruby the Quilter 04-05-2012 04:54 PM

When I do the flange inner border, I l also quilt up to it and do something different on the remaining borders.