Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Folding Travel Sewing Table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/folding-travel-sewing-table-t123648.html)

KyKaren1949 05-16-2011 07:58 PM

Just returned from my first quilting retreat. After trying to sew for five days on a long table that caused my sewing machine to bounce like crazy, I realize I'm going to need a portable sewing table if I'm going to anymore retreats.
That being said, do you have one? If so, what brand did you buy? I've researched them online and find them from $100 up to about $250+.
What should I look for when selecting one? What features did you find most helpful? I sure don't want to invest that kind of money and find I made a mistake just through my own ignorance.
Thanks in advance!!

suebee 05-16-2011 08:37 PM

Hmmm, the retreat I went to provided tables, however, I dont have a machine bed extension for my machine, Im going to be sure I get one before I go to retreat again.

KyKaren1949 05-16-2011 08:43 PM

They did have tables; the long 4 foot X 8 foot ones. However, as I sewed, the vibrations in the table caused my sewing machine to bob up and down. I had to use one hand to press down on the machine to keep it from hopping around! :-)

I saw several quilters with portable tables that had a drop down slot to hold their sewing machines. It was my understanding that you could tell the manufacturer what type of machine you had and they would provide the insert to fit securely around your machine.

Holice 05-16-2011 09:03 PM

I have the Sew Ezi. Pricy but great and you can get the inserts for any of your machines.

An alternative is to get a folding table with adjustable height feature. they come 24"x6' Light weight and cost about $70. on line.

Jim 05-16-2011 10:44 PM

I use my padded cutting board (ironing pad on one side, cutting mat on the other) when I am sewing on a table that makes my machine bounce..it sures helps with the vibrations and its a alot small than taking an entire table

fabric_fancy 05-17-2011 01:23 AM

you might want to consider making this extension table for your sewing machine.

it would be much cheaper then buying a table to sew on and you can take it any where you want to go.

my table was bouncing for the power of my machine and i make the extension piece and now its great plus all the extra workspace is awesome and the quilts slide with ease.

here's the link to build the table

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g14go...5F8CBCF60FB693

cjtinkle 05-17-2011 01:41 AM

I second the Sew-Ezi table. I have one for use in our RV and it's just wonderful! It folds up to about 6 inches flat, and comes in a very nice carry case.

KyKaren1949 05-17-2011 08:51 PM

My concern about the expensive table is that if I change machines, I keep having to buy the inserts. I guess there's really no way around this though.

I want a simple portable, folding sewing table that is compact and easy to transport.

The Sew Ezi sounds like what I need. I cringe at spending that much money, but it's probably worth it.

AliKat 05-17-2011 10:00 PM

A couple of things here:

When on a retreat we have 2 people share a long table. Each person faces the other but we take opposite ends so that our machines are over the table legs and our work is able to spread out onto the central area of the table. This way our machines don't bounce all over but are stable.

Yes, the Sew EZ tables are good. Just $$.

Since Sew EZ isn't in my budget I now use a small 2 ft x approx 18" Lifetime 3 height adjustable folding table. I take this when I am working at someone else's home. I actually have 2 of these so if I have a larger project I have extra room. I like the 3 heights available. Last I looked the office supply stores still sold them [Office Max, etc, ?Walmart?] and a friend found her tables at either Costco or Sam's Club.

ali

trif 05-17-2011 10:23 PM

The sew ezi is definitely a good investment, I love mine. Maybe if it's too much right now just save a little longer, you won't regret it.