Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Foot Pedal (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/foot-pedal-t72232.html)

MommaDorian 10-25-2010 10:31 AM

My sewing machine's food pedal is angled. From most pictures I've seen, people use them from the side that has their foot pointed up. I use mine the other way around. I find that mine doesn't slide around as much that way. What do you guys do?

amma 10-25-2010 10:32 AM

I have used them with my foot angled up, down, I have even placed it under my thighs when I was having back problems LMBO Whatever works, right? :D:D:D

MadQuilter 10-25-2010 10:41 AM

My machine has a start/stop button. I am trying to get used to it but so far, I'm chasing the pedal. I am also trying to learn to use the knee lift. A gal at the class the other day told me that I need to use my left foot for the gas so I can knee lift with my righ. It's like learning to drive the stick shift all over again.

donkeyed 10-25-2010 05:19 PM

I use mine in a VERY unique way. I don't have the use of my feet. mine is attached to my sewing table so I can use my knee to control it. My husband laughed when he first seen what I did, but I wasn't about to give up sewing just because I couldn't use my feet. I actually found that I liked it better this way much easier to control and not as tiring.

wolfkitty 10-25-2010 05:22 PM

Good idea, donkeyed! That would be less tiring that using a foot. Necessity is the mother of invention.

Quiltforme 10-25-2010 05:24 PM

Wow this has been my one concern there will be a day when I will no longer be able to use the lower half of my body and thought I would not be able to quilt anymore!! Thank you so much for giving me hope!!!!

Originally Posted by donkeyed
I use mine in a VERY unique way. I don't have the use of my feet. mine is attached to my sewing table so I can use my knee to control it. My husband laughed when he first seen what I did, but I wasn't about to give up sewing just because I couldn't use my feet. I actually found that I liked it better this way much easier to control and not as tiring.

littlehud 10-25-2010 06:43 PM

Mine is angled toward me. It doesn't slip as much that way. When I used it the other way it kept slipping away from me.

JT 10-25-2010 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by donkeyed

That's the way the sewing machines used to be in cabinets. The first machine I had, had a knee control lever. What goes around, comes around...... :)

trisha 10-25-2010 07:59 PM

How did you attach the pedal to the sewing machine so it doesn't slip off? I would rather have mine up too.

nursie76 10-25-2010 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
My machine has a start/stop button. I am trying to get used to it but so far, I'm chasing the pedal. I am also trying to learn to use the knee lift. A gal at the class the other day told me that I need to use my left foot for the gas so I can knee lift with my righ. It's like learning to drive the stick shift all over again.

Do you mean a knee lift that lifts your presser foot? If I tried using my left for the pedal and right for the knee lift I would have a rough time, cause you don't usually sew when the presser foot is up. I think you will do fine using your right foot for the gas and right knee for the lifter.