Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Found a new LQS! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/found-new-lqs-t201262.html)

Sewnoma 09-22-2012 07:03 PM

Found a new LQS!

I'm excited, the LQS nearest me is really disappointing. Not very welcoming and not a great selection.

But one of my (male!) coworkers told me he noticed a quilt store downtown where he lives - it's only about 20 miles up the freeway from where I live...far enough that I rarely go into that area but not far enough to keep me away!

I went to go check it out today; bought two 1/2 yard precuts of gorgeous turquoise batiks for $6 each and made mental notes of several other luscious fabrics that I must find an excuse to buy. :D And I actually felt welcome walking into the store, very pleasant couple of ladies working the counter who gave me just the right level of attention to make me feel taken care of but neither hovered over nor ignored.

I also found a spool of variegated purple/lavender Aurifil thread in a discount bin for $6! I asked if they had more and was told that I just missed out, they've stopped carrying it and clearanced out their entire stock of Aurifil for $6 a spool - I got the very last one. DANG!! I would have stocked up! It's $12 a spool at the only other local shop that I know of that carries it. (I know I can buy it online but I prefer to buy it locally where I can really see the colors if I possibly can.)

And, as a bonus, there was a local art show/sale going on in the park right across the street. Got to see a lot of really nice local artwork & photography and listen to live music for free. All in all a very satisfying little shopping trip. :)

jemma 09-22-2012 07:06 PM

happy dance

dunster 09-22-2012 07:09 PM

Wonderful! I just have to say I love your board name + your locale. Very clever.

Dina 09-22-2012 07:10 PM

What a great find!

Dina

QuiltnNan 09-23-2012 03:19 AM

great for you!

Tartan 09-23-2012 05:15 AM

Do they have a email or mailing list for their sales? I am glad you found a great shop to visit but notification of their sales would get you there more often.

DogHouseMom 09-23-2012 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 5534011)
I also found a spool of variegated purple/lavender Aurifil thread in a discount bin for $6! I asked if they had more and was told that I just missed out, they've stopped carrying it and clearanced out their entire stock of Aurifil for $6 a spool - I got the very last one. DANG!! I would have stocked up! It's $12 a spool at the only other local shop that I know of that carries it. (I know I can buy it online but I prefer to buy it locally where I can really see the colors if I possibly can.)

Wonderful finding a new local shop!

As for the thread ... what a bummer! My online source went out of business (her regular price was $7.00) and I've been trying to source it locally. I discovered Aurifil the same way you did - a discount bin at one of the local shops when they stopped carrying it (I actually have quite a few in a 50 mile radius). The only other shop around here that carries it is not going to carry it anymore (but refuses to sell the remaining stock at a discounted price).

My husband is going to England and perhaps Italy for a quick business trip and I may have to give him a small suitcase to stock up on Aurifil!

BellaBoo 09-23-2012 06:43 AM

I bought Aurifil verigated for $3.75 a spool here: http://tristan.bc.ca/cart/product.ph...&cat=38&page=1

I stock up on Aurifil thread about twice a year from this website when there is a door crasher special sale. The shipping cost still keeps the thread price lower then anywhere else. All the cotton mako thread sold there is excellent.

Toni C 09-23-2012 07:06 AM

BellaBoo do you piece with it? If so (was told it made a smaller seam) what weight do you get? I figured since most thread it 50 weight does 60 weight make that difference?

QUILTNMO 09-23-2012 07:12 AM

very nice!!!!