Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Found out I CAN sew a nice triangle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/found-out-i-can-sew-nice-triangle-t71099.html)

quiltsRfun 10-19-2010 12:48 PM

Triangles have always been a challenge for me. Yesterday I finally tried starching my fabric. It makes all the difference in the world! I've ended up with a couple of practice blocks that look really good. The patches weren't wonky and the points aren't cut off. Easy to finger press too saving a trip to the ironing board. Plus they just look good after they're finished - nice and crisp.

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities for me. Thanks to everyone here who suggested starch. I only wish I'd found this tip sooner.

wolfkitty 10-19-2010 12:50 PM

Yes, I have learned a lot of things here, including the starch tip!

KathyAire 10-19-2010 12:54 PM

The easiest thing for me is to cut the squares a half inch larger than called for. Make two triangles and then square them to the size needed.

wolph33 10-19-2010 12:57 PM

starch is a wonderful helper

Holice 10-19-2010 01:07 PM

what is your secrete for making good triangles? Share this amazine discuvery with the rest of us.

hobo2000 10-19-2010 01:15 PM

Easiest way, sew 2 squares rights sides together sew 1/4" all the way around the outside. Carefully cut on both diagonals and you will have 4 perfect HST's. If you do a search, someone posted the method to get the size you need. I make one 5" set and then go up or down from there.

DLM3 10-19-2010 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
Triangles have always been a challenge for me. Yesterday I finally tried starching my fabric. It makes all the difference in the world! I've ended up with a couple of practice blocks that look really good. The patches weren't wonky and the points aren't cut off. Easy to finger press too saving a trip to the ironing board. Plus they just look good after they're finished - nice and crisp.

This opens up a whole new world of possibilities for me. Thanks to everyone here who suggested starch. I only wish I'd found this tip sooner.

Is it spray starch that you use? I would love to sew a nice triangle too! :)

quiltsRfun 10-19-2010 01:24 PM

Is it spray starch that you use? I would love to sew a nice triangle too!
I bought Sta Flo liquid concentrate and mixed up enough to submerge the fabric, wring out the excess, let dry a little, then ironed. I had tried mixing and putting it in a spray bottle but this seemed to work better. I got better coverage.

quiltsRfun 10-19-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Holice
what is your secrete for making good triangles? Share this amazine discuvery with the rest of us.

I was using the triangle in a square ruler so it's a little different than half square triangles. But I also tried the HST method of putting together two squares, drawing a line diagonally and sewing 1/4 inch from each side of the line, then cut on the line. That worked well with the starch too.

RkayD 10-19-2010 01:44 PM

...and glue. changed my whole way of thinking. makes me fearless. =)