Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frame with strait stitch advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frame-strait-stitch-advice-t148987.html)

Rose Marie 08-30-2011 06:20 AM

Yesterday they brought my setup with a Imperial frame, Jane machine and a stitch regulator.
So overwhelmed with just getting started.
It took the expert installer 5 hrs to put it togather. WOW
What do you do with all the wires coming out the back of the carrage?
Watched You Tube for all the different ways to do leaders and enders. Zippers, magnets, sewing, velcro, pins or grips.
Fabric to use, canvas, muslin?
I need to watch for bulk since my machine only has a 9 in throat.
Need all the expierienced advice I can get.
Thanks.

lindy-2 08-30-2011 06:52 AM

not familar with that machine or frame but most short arm quilting machines are faerly easy to use i have muslin leaders on my frame and i use stait pins to atach the quilt i think zippers or velcro would add a bit more bulk. have fun with your new setup.

dmyers 08-30-2011 07:08 AM

Hi Rose,
I use zip ties to keep my wires neat and tidy. They have some sticky pads to keep them snug to the frame.
Also on your leaders I made some from thick ticking fabric from Joann's, the fabric has lines on it so it was easier to install on the frame as well as pin to. I also installed zippers to my leaders. But you still have to pin or baste your backing. I like zippers because I can take them on and off easily. Hope that helps!

Zhillslady 08-30-2011 07:11 AM

I bought my frame from kathysquilts.com and they sell the cloth leaders premade. I bet if you checked they may have size you need. I have the 9" throat as well and the velcro did use up extra space. I have a set of all 3 leaders in cloth and they seem to be very good quality that will last quite a while.

I also wrapped the wires from stitch regulator and lamp to the carriage rails and used wire ties. Works very well and is cheap if you wanna cut them off and change your mind where you want them.

kathy 08-30-2011 07:23 AM

don't think you can figure it all out at one time, go slow, try something one way for a while, you may want to change after you get more used to how things work and move, you may like it and never want to change, you just have to experiment to see what works best for you and your setup, don't get frustrated
good luck

Rose Marie 08-30-2011 01:36 PM

Thanks for all your help.
I tried Kathys quilts but could not find anything for sale.
Nancys notions has leaders and enders but for 55 dollars I will make them myself.
I made one leader from some muslin I had leftover and pined a quilt on it. So far so good but the stitch regulator will not work even though the green light is on, and the needle is not pulling the bobbin thread up the thread breaks when I try to pull it up. Its like its stuck.
Did manage to fill some bobbins at least.
What a learning expierience this is.
The installer tied the wires up some but I need to get one of those wire cover things since I have cats and they already are attacking the cords. I only have one outlet at the start of the frame and it says not to use an extension cord but the wires are not long enough to go to the end of the frame so used one anyway. How about a serge protector?
I like the idea of using velcro for the enders since space is not a problem there. I like the idea of ticking, will look for it.
I like the frame, it will work out well. The machine is Baby Locks Jane which is equil to the Brother strait stitch.
It is a bear to thread after my computer machine that takes all of 10 seconds to thread at the most. Ive nerver had the metal bobbin before and so far dont like it at all. Ive always had dropins.