Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Free motion quilting must haves/necessities - besides quilting foot (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-motion-quilting-must-haves-necessities-besides-quilting-foot-t45374.html)

Hockeyrabbit 05-09-2010 03:16 PM

Ok-

I've been watching some of the tutorials on youtube and I would like to give this more of a try..I can do SITD but I want to go beyond that. The woman who has all the tutorials on youtube suggested to get a pair of white gloves. I went onto her site, and there is a package deal where you get gloves, this sliding board and some bobbin genies which clean bobbin and help create more even stitching on back. Just curious, but are these "necessities?" The whole package is around $50.

Just curious

pollyjvan9 05-09-2010 03:21 PM

The gloves are definitely a MUST. The other things are nice but you can learn without them. At least this is my opinion. Regarding cost, I am always trying to save money in funny ways. The savings goes toward more fabric. About 2 years ago Walgreen Drug Store had some winter gloves on sale for .99 a pair. They had the little rubber bumps on the fingers and palm. For driving, I think. Believe it or not, I like them better than the white quilting gloves. Go figure.

littlehud 05-09-2010 03:23 PM

I would by pass the package. If you want glove use gardening gloves or Fons and Porters glove. I started with a darning foot, dropped the feed dogs and went to town.

amma 05-09-2010 03:43 PM

I agree about not purchasing the package deal. You may want to spend the money on a table that gives you a bigger area that is flush with your machine. You can make your own out of a dining room table, (if you have the room) or altering your current sewing surface.

katier825 05-09-2010 04:33 PM

Gloves definitely help. I started with the gardening gloves, but didn't really like them. They were too hot. I tried on a pair of Machingers and love them. They were less than $10 and worth every penny for me. I don't have to take them off to rethread, change bobbins or anything. I also bought an acrylic table to surround my machine. That's very helpful too. I would have loved the foam table to go around my machine, but it's hard to find thick foam here in FL, and didn't want to deal with multiple sheets, so I made my own out of priority mail boxes and a sheet of vinyl. Total cost about $5 for the vinyl, boxes were free. I assemble my table when I'm quilting and butt my small table up to the dining room table and cover the whole thing w/the vinyl. Different things work for different people. Trial and error is the way to learn what you do like. I took a class and the instructor brought many gadgets to try.

I do so much better when I'm home alone. I screw up alot if the family is around disrupting me. The big thing is to relax and enjoy it - try not to stress over it. Lots of practice sandwiches. The first time on a "real" quilt is a little scary, but it builds confidence. :)

roseOfsharon 05-09-2010 04:54 PM

good ideas for the table ... I too had read of the vinyl surface for quilting. I will look up the gloves and where to get them!

roseOfsharon 05-09-2010 04:56 PM

These gloves ( machingers) .. do you have an idea how to figure size? I do have small hands, but not skinny hands. Do these fit flush ? Thanks ..

katier825 05-09-2010 05:04 PM

If you have small hands, try the S/M. I have large hands and the M/L is perfect for me. They are lightweight and breathable. Many online shops have them, as well as many of the local quilt shops.

They are stretchy, but not too tight. I find them very comfortable, even when it's hot down here.

sewloved 05-09-2010 05:30 PM

Music! I know it sounds silly. I am newer to machine quilting and I find that I move better with music. My curves are smoother, etc.

I practiced my moves some on paper first and find that very helpful.

BKrenning 05-09-2010 07:53 PM

Silicone spray is helpful also.