Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Free motion quilting on a Singer 301 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-motion-quilting-singer-301-a-t114744.html)

SherriB 04-09-2011 07:11 AM

Is the bomb!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am in FMQ Heaven!!!! I just got a fmq foot from April 1930's shop to use on my 301. Once I got everything adjusted, my 301 did fmq like a dream!!! I still need to work on my speed to keep my stitches uniform. But no messy bobbin stitches like my Janome gives me!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I even spelled/sewed my name. LOL!!! I just used a small scrap of fabric and batting sandwich and have pretty much covered it with fmq. LOL!!!

I think my 301 is going to be my main sewing machine for quilting. I just love the pretty straight stitches it gives me. :mrgreen: I can't remember where I read it, but the way the bobbin and then needle connect on the 301 is what makes it so good for free motion quilting.

irishrose 04-09-2011 08:09 AM

I've only had mine since January, but when she malfunctioned yeterday, I panicked. I was envisioning having to change patterns in a quilt I'm doing in a hurry as the Elna would eat the little triangles. The bobbin thread had slipped out of the slot. I think the bobbin was too full. Easy fix, whew. AnnieRose FMQs beautifully, but it's still a learning curve for me.

Part of the good bobbin stitching is the type of bobbin. A rotary bobbin with a case feeds the thread directly to the stitch unlike an oscillating drop in bobbin. One more reason AnnieRose outquilts Miss Elna. Can't say as I like changing the bobbin with a case and it doesn't hold as much, but the stitching makes up for it. The Elna has a more perfect stitch, but for a lot of reasons, she can't quilt.

KatFish 04-09-2011 11:31 AM

I've been playing with FMQ on my 301 too. Such a awesome machine to use, and because of it's light weight, I can move everything to the kitchen table for more room when quilting.

LauraJJ 06-14-2011 07:14 PM

I have 2 301's, and both of them are giving me HORRIBLE tension problems when I try to FMQ, but not problems at when I straight stitch. I have tried rethreading, changing needles, changing needle types, changing thread type, adjusting top tension, adjusting bottom tension.........and I still get the bobbin thread showing on the top. AND do you have issues with FMQing on batiks? The top thread wouldn't even catch AT ALL when I tried FMQ on batiks. I LOVE my 301...that's why I have 2. But I am a little frustrated with this FMQ issue.

Stitch124 02-15-2013 07:06 PM

I'm having the same tension problems with my 301A too. Guess I'm going to have to stitch in the ditch on my quilt top. Darn.

00maggie 04-22-2013 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by SherriB (Post 2989622)
Is the bomb!!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I am in FMQ Heaven!!!! I just got a fmq foot from April 1930's shop to use on my 301. Once I got everything adjusted, my 301 did fmq like a dream!!! I still need to work on my speed to keep my stitches uniform. But no messy bobbin stitches like my Janome gives me!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I even spelled/sewed my name. LOL!!! I just used a small scrap of fabric and batting sandwich and have pretty much covered it with fmq. LOL!!!

I think my 301 is going to be my main sewing machine for quilting. I just love the pretty straight stitches it gives me. :mrgreen: I can't remember where I read it, but the way the bobbin and then needle connect on the 301 is what makes it so good for free motion quilting.

---------------
I've been practicing FMQ on my Singer 648 today -- what a MESS!!! I'm going to break out one of the 301s to see if I can do it with one of those...not sure I have a FMQ foot for it that fits well, however. I bought one from ??? but it was one that had to be MADE to fit the 301. And mine has never meshed well. But I am determined to FMQ!! So every day I am going to practice.

Dorthy

BellaBoo 04-22-2013 12:27 PM

I have a 301. I need the fmq foot for it. Thanks for the store name to order it. I never remember to order one!

jacie 04-26-2013 03:33 AM

where did you get your fmq foot?