Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   free motion speed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-motion-speed-t89447.html)

user15356 01-10-2011 06:07 PM

I know that constant speed is absolutely necessary in free motion quilting. Unlike some of the newer machines where you have a control button for your speed, my older Singer (1984 electronic) does not. Does anyone have an idea on how I could improvise something to keep me from going too fast on my sewing machine? I can not seem to keep a constant pressure with my foot.

oatw13 01-10-2011 06:24 PM

If you have the foot pedal that you push down, is there a way to attach something like a block of cardboard or a dowel so that you can only push it down so far? That is what I do.

Then you just push it all the way down until it hits the block.

sandraa 01-10-2011 06:25 PM

Someone on this board said to use lowest speed on machine and floor it. It worked for me.

amma 01-10-2011 07:24 PM

A piece of dense foam? A little bag full of rice? :D:D:D

QultingaddictUK 01-11-2011 09:50 AM

I don't now about the other tips but what works for me on my old Singer is to take my shoe off :!: Then I just use my big toe/s and have a better control on it. The other tip that a couple of my
quilting class ladies use, is to turn the pedal back to front :shock: I haven't a clue as to why it works for them but it does, go figure :lol:

salmonsweet 01-11-2011 01:14 PM

I like to put a phone book under my heel (but not under the pedal!). I think I got that tip from Leah Day's website. It sounds weird, but it changes the angle of the foot and makes it much easier to control the pedal speed.

roguequilter 01-11-2011 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Jerrie1940
I know that constant speed is absolutely necessary in free motion quilting. Unlike some of the newer machines where you have a control button for your speed, my older Singer (1984 electronic) does not. Does anyone have an idea on how I could improvise something to keep me from going too fast on my sewing machine? I can not seem to keep a constant pressure with my foot.

there is a hole in my foot pedal...i put an 'all-thread' screw in it and set to speed i want to maintain....of course unthread needle when setting it.

user15356 01-11-2011 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by oatw13
If you have the foot pedal that you push down, is there a way to attach something like a block of cardboard or a dowel so that you can only push it down so far? That is what I do.

Then you just push it all the way down until it hits the block.

Just like magic! I used the top off my seam ripper as a speed stop on my foot pedal. I hope anyone else having control problems finds this as a solution also. It is really GREAT! :thumbup:

QultingaddictUK 01-11-2011 05:32 PM

Just like magic! I used the top off my seam ripper as a speed stop on my foot pedal. I hope anyone else having control problems finds this as a solution also. It is really GREAT!
I must remember that one, what a terrific tip