Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   free shipping (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/free-shipping-t25091.html)

trupeach 09-06-2009 07:41 AM

I just got an e-mail from Joanns.com, free shipping no minimum enter code ECD256 ends 9/13 If you go to their site it says free shipping with $50 that is a different code use the one I posted and happy shopping

trupeach 09-06-2009 08:22 AM

for anyone who likes 100% cotton batting they have under quilting clearence Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting 90x108 reg price $17.49 now $8.74 PLUS free shipping

SherriB 09-06-2009 08:49 AM

Thank you for posting the free shipping code! I ordered 2 rolls of the batting for $19.00!! I haven't tried it before but I am sure I will be able to use it. :D

sewjoyce 09-06-2009 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach
for anyone who likes 100% cotton batting they have under quilting clearence Blue Ribbon 100% cotton batting 90x108 reg price $17.49 now $8.74 PLUS free shipping

Have you used this batting?

amma 09-06-2009 01:22 PM

I just used some of their batting in my August doll quilt and it worked very well!!! :D

trupeach 09-06-2009 02:09 PM

Yes..... I have used this batting and I like it just as much as the warm and natural, for hand quilting.

Prism99 09-06-2009 03:35 PM

Thanks for the code! I just ordered some of the Mountain Mist blue ribbon batting -- my favorite.

For those who aren't familiar with it, MM blue ribbon is 100% cotton. This is an "old-timey" batting that will shrink a little when you wash it, giving that crinkley effect. If you don't like that effect, don't buy this batting because you are not supposed to pre-wash it (would probably fall apart). It does not have a needle-punched scrim like Warm n Natural.

Pros of this batting: very nice drape, gets softer and softer with each washing, holds up well for decades, is very similar to antique quilt battings. Has a glazene finish and does not beard. The drape of this batting is much softer than Warm n Natural

Cons of this batting: needs to be quilted every 2 inches (Warm n Natural is every 10 inches). IMO, it is better for machine quilting than hand quilting. It can be difficult to push a needle through 100% cotton (the oils in the cotton, I think).

I made a crib quilt with this batting 20 years ago. It went through many, many machine washings and was dragged around until the bindings frayed. However, if you hold that quilt up to your face, it is as soft as a cloud.

The package I have here says: hand or machine quilt at intervals up to 2 inches apart, not for use in tied quilts, does not beard, exclusive glazene finish, great for antique appearance, spreads evenly and does not shift.

sewjoyce 09-06-2009 04:39 PM

Thanks for all the info everyone on the batting!! I'm still experimenting with finding a good batting for hand quilting. Some of the stuff that I've used, well, I bent needles trying stitch thru it :lol: :lol:

trupeach 09-06-2009 05:12 PM

I don't wash my fabric and I hand piece and quilt. I use 100% cotton thread but I don't know if that is a must. I like to do everything period correct if it is the 1920's or 1800's. When I am finished with the quilt I wash and machiine dry it. The fabric and batting shrink at the same time. It gives the quilt a vintage/historical look. The exact look I want. I do know people who machine qquilted it and it gives the crinkled look too. And you can use any pattern you want.

Eddie 09-06-2009 05:20 PM

I guess the www.joann.com site is inundated with quilters...I can't get the page to load. :( Will try again later. Thanks for the heads up!