Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Freezer paper in Australia (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/freezer-paper-australia-t71530.html)

GailG 10-26-2010 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by karinda
Hi
just thought I would let you know what visaflex is Hope I have spelt it correctly ,comes from the US
it is paper with a film or web mat (type of glue) on the back.when ironed to fabric it sticks,simple as that
what you do is trace your designs in reverse on to the paper side,over a light box ,window or what ever you use.
cut each design piece out with a scant 1/8th of an inch around it.then iron to the back of your material that is to be used in the design
I then place my design pattern sheet correct side up on the light box,with a piece of baking paper.over the design,then i cut out my pieces and peel off the paper and place it on the baking paper to where i have cut these pattern pieces for,the heat of the light box lets them adhere a little when completely satisfied with my applique i gently lift the baking paper off and take to the ironing board placing a piece of baking paper over the applique piece mainly to protect the iron from any glue fragments
your applique piece is complete now when ready peel design from your baking paper and place on whatever you are making,then you sew around each piece by hand or machine
I use this method all the time I do a lot of baby bibs and do t-shirts etc for my grandies and I made their quilts this way,as you can use such tiny pieces of fabric hence the panic of getting pieces to sit right.for turn under i think your freezer paper might be better .hope this has been of some help for you to understand what visaflex is used for
cheers

Thank you so much for the beautiful description. I suppose your visaflex is what we call fusible web. There are many brand names. This is a wonderful way for us to learn each other's cultures and languages.

mosaicthinking 10-26-2010 02:06 AM

Hey Aussies I just did an order from Hancock's of Paducah - it got here in 4 weeks flat and cost only $15 postage. My order included 2 queen size batts at US $14 each. Bargain compared to Spotlight prices! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship.

And to answer the original question Spotlight do have freezer paper.

woody 10-26-2010 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by mosaicthinking
Hey Aussies I just did an order from Hancock's of Paducah - it got here in 4 weeks flat and cost only $15 postage. My order included 2 queen size batts at US $14 each. Bargain compared to Spotlight prices! This could be the start of a beautiful relationship.

If you sign up for Hancock's of Paducah's newsletter they will let you know when the have free postage (yes even to Australia :thumbup: ) They must be almost due for one as they usually have them every 3 months or so. :-D

earthwalker 10-26-2010 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by mosaicthinking

Uh Oh....I could be in trouble now....

spooky 10-29-2010 06:10 AM

I get mine at the supermarket, in the same aisle/section as the wax paper, Saran Wrap, etc.

featherweight 10-29-2010 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alondra
Would baking parchment work in a pinch... if you couldn't get butcher paper?

No, parchment paper does not have wax on one side. The whole idea is to be able to iron your fabric onto the freezer paper and it will stick. It will NOT stick to parchment paper.

Annya 11-03-2010 01:31 AM

Bargain box has it. The last time it was about $16 a box, that was a while ago. Why don't you ring them on 32022887 that is Ipswich and ask if they have it and the cost. maybe you could take a trip to the store as they have a great range of fabrics there and they are getting more in all the time, great prices too.
that is a reasonable price$17 for 50 yards.There are a lot on E-Bay too but they are in England.

miss_ticky2 11-03-2010 11:37 AM

Hi Annya...thanks..but I got some at Spotlight here locally. Haven't used it yet :)