Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frustrated by Fat Quarters (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frustrated-fat-quarters-t242484.html)

Marysewfun 03-05-2014 07:34 PM

Another thing that can throw your fat quarters off is washing the fabric. I have unfolded them from the store and they look great - I always wash all my fabrics before using and sometimes when they come out of the dryer they don't look the same way they did when they went in. I make dolls and clothes so it isn't so critical for me.

Marysewfun

bearisgray 03-05-2014 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Marysewfun (Post 6611454)
Another thing that can throw your fat quarters off is washing the fabric. I have unfolded them from the store and they look great - I always wash all my fabrics before using and sometimes when they come out of the dryer they don't look the same way they did when they went in. I make dolls and clothes so it isn't so critical for me.

Marysewfun

Washing lets fabric revert to its natural / normal state. Whatever that might be.

I have learned to not try to straighten fabric after it has been washed. It just pulls back to what it wants to do.

misschris 03-06-2014 04:33 AM

I pick up fabric at resale stores and sometimes for whatever reason there is not a salvage. I just tug gently on the fabric and it's easy to tell the grain by how much "give" it has.

Sew Hooked 03-06-2014 05:17 AM

This where KNOWING your quilt store comes into play. My fat quarters are always perfect, with one selvage showing, and cut correctly. If I purchase a fat quarter from an "unknown" establishment, I actually open it up (it's legal!) to SEE what I'm buying.

AnnT 03-06-2014 06:26 AM

Since some fat quarters are actually less than the 18 x 22 anymore, I'm seeing fat quarters without selvages.

justducky65 03-06-2014 09:17 AM

Also, more frequently these days, I have noticed the fabric width has gone down from 44-45 inches down to 42-43 inches, so that may have an effect on the 22-inch width also if the shops are cutting right down the middle.

I don't know, but I have always preferred half-yard cuts to fat quarters. I just find it is more usable for me. I feel like I am buying a scrap when I buy a FQ.

madamekelly 03-06-2014 10:19 AM

I guess I never thought about the selvedge edge being missing from precuts, because I remembered from a junior high school 'Home Economics' class that you could find the straight of grain in small pieces of fabric, if you remember that woven fabric has some 'give' across the grain but almost none on the straight of grain. I just do this automatically when I have an piece that is no longer yardage, before I cut. Doing this will also make it easier to piece because all of the stretchiness will be one direction on any quilt made with right angles, so I get more accuracy. My corners are not always perfect, but at least I know I have done all I can to get it that way. Lol!

kathyd 03-06-2014 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dina (Post 6608285)
Oh, I am glad to read this!!

Dina

I agree.
The problem could also be from not good quality fabric. But then I am a fabric snob when it comes to buying fabric. For as much time as I put into making a quilt I want the best fabric I can afford.

shirleyd 03-06-2014 03:29 PM

I'm always learning from this board! Interesting information on fat quarters that I've never given much thought. Thanks for posting.

M cubed 03-06-2014 06:08 PM

I don't buy FQs very often for piecing, but for applique. When I wash them, I have to worry about shrinkage - and some fabrics shrink a lot! I couldn't depend on the amount of fabric available if I used FQs. I prefer to buy yardage for piecing.