Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fun and Done ? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fun-done-t19091.html)

crkathleen 04-16-2009 05:45 PM

Do you do think you can do the "Fun and Done" on a traditional block? Like the square and point star?

sewjoyce 04-16-2009 06:25 PM

Don't know why not! Give it a try and let us know :lol: :lol:

mkanderson 04-17-2009 05:08 AM

I am doing a couple of ones using the method of the Fun & Done! My crazy Quilt for one. I am also starting a Bow Tie with it! I also have a Country Star that I am starting that I will do this way so that it will be quilted when I get finished with it.
On the Crazy Quilt I sewed the top part on to the batting, then tacked it to the backing and sewed the backs together. (I wasn’t real sure of how to “quilt “ the Crazy one so I tied it with Floss) Here is a picture of it : http://www.quiltingboard.com/posts/list/18357.page
The reason I said don’t laugh at it (and hurt yourself) is the bad job I have done on the fancy stitches from my machine!! First time I ever worked with them and still have a bad time with them! One day I will get use to them (I hope!! LOL)

On the Bow Tie and the Country Star I am cutting the back then the batting and putting the pieced block on top and quilting (by hand) them together. I am machine stitching the backs together and using the machine to turn over the edges and top stitch them down. I will post a picture of them as soon as I get a couple more put together.
Try yours and see how you like it
What block are you making?

Connie1948 04-17-2009 05:13 AM

Yes you can do Fun and Done with any block. Just remember to cut the back a little smaller so you don't cut off your points when foplding it over the front edges. Just imagine your batting as a foundation like paper piecing. Takes a little practice but it works. Make a couple practice blocks to see how this works.

crkathleen 04-17-2009 07:28 AM

mk, I think your crazy quilt looks great! I wanted to make the garden variation block from quilterscache but I don't like one of the fabrics I have for it. So I plan on making the basic star block. It's called square and point on quilterscache http://quilterscache.com/QuiltBlocksGalore54.html or maybe the starflower http://quilterscache.com/S/StarflowerBlock.html So many blocks so little time... :lol:
Thanks for the advice Connie!

mkanderson 04-17-2009 07:57 AM

I think either one of those would look good done like that. If I were going to make (this is just me!!!) I would piece the block, cut my batting the same size as the block, cut the backing 2 inches larger and center the block and batting on top of the backing and the quilt thru the three layers. After getting a row done, sew each of the backings together, turn over the edges and top stitch down. Try one and see what happens! I wold love to see it!

Darlene 04-17-2009 09:28 AM

I love your crazy quilt too I made 4 blocks like this and I thought they were very labor intensive. It was for a swap and they got a bad bargain from me LOL.

pal 04-21-2009 06:27 PM

I've been working on a fun and done type quilt and it has been a
complete disaster from the first. Anything and everything that could go
wrong - went wrong. If everything had worked, it would have been my
favorite quilt. I had to put sashing between the blocks because it was so
small - and the sashing had to be done the same was as the blocks - with the 3 layers, etc. Anyway, there's a really good chance that it will
remain a "no fun and not done" forever. Too too labor intensive.

A group of us put another one together for a fund raiser, and the same
thing happened - one disaster after another. The backing that is sewn
down on the front is so crooked and the stitching is so bad that I don't know what to do. Is there any way to stitch down the backing (on the
front) so that it looks nice. I am almost tempted to take all of the
stitching out and do it by hand, but the whole thing is done. I am at a
complete loss as to what to do.

sewjoyce 04-22-2009 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by pal
I've been working on a fun and done type quilt and it has been a
complete disaster from the first. Anything and everything that could go
wrong - went wrong. If everything had worked, it would have been my
favorite quilt. I had to put sashing between the blocks because it was so
small - and the sashing had to be done the same was as the blocks - with the 3 layers, etc. Anyway, there's a really good chance that it will
remain a "no fun and not done" forever. Too too labor intensive.

A group of us put another one together for a fund raiser, and the same
thing happened - one disaster after another. The backing that is sewn
down on the front is so crooked and the stitching is so bad that I don't know what to do. Is there any way to stitch down the backing (on the
front) so that it looks nice. I am almost tempted to take all of the
stitching out and do it by hand, but the whole thing is done. I am at a
complete loss as to what to do.

Well, bless your heart! These things are supposed to be fun and not cause stress!!

What kind of disasters did you have?

Is the batting the same size as the block? Is the backing 1" larger all the way around? A couple of mine were "size challenged" and I had to take it apart and trim the top block.

Is the batting too thick? Did you try using a walking foot when sewing?

Let us see what you did -- I bet it's not all that terrible :D :D

pal 04-22-2009 07:38 AM

Thank you, Sewjoyce. You made me feel better just by being there.

I'm going to go to Joann's and get either the 1" fabric binding or 1"
grograin ribbon and hand sew it on over the "binding" I think the muslin that we used as a backing (from Joann's) was too loosly woven and very light weight almost like a batiste for curtains. Another lesson learned.

I know that lessons learned the hard way stay with you the longest, but I'm really tired of learning everything this way. Thank you so much
for your support. I'll take pictures and send them in.