Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fun Quilt Idea? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fun-quilt-idea-t201633.html)

MattieMae 09-27-2012 07:44 AM

Chaos can be pretty and interesting.

Scissor Queen 09-27-2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5544571)
I am hopeless at scrappy quilts. I try the just grab and sew method but when I put two pieces under the needle that scream " clash" to me, I can't resist reaching for a better match. Good luck!

Which is really too bad because those clashes can really make a scrappy quilt sing.

Scissor Queen 09-27-2012 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith (Post 5543886)
So I was thinking. I know, scary. What if you had a bunch of squares and/or HST, threw them up un the air, then straightened into rows where they land and sewed then into a quilt with reckless abandon?

I don't like scrappy, but I an thinking about trying this.

This could be really interesting!!

Edie 09-28-2012 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish (Post 5543893)
Very similar to the paper bag method, where you toss everything in a paper bag, shake it up, then whatever you pull out is what you use.

I am working on that right now. I am doing 5-1/2" squares and doing them from two bags - dark and light. I do not have two squares alike and I am making 187 squares. Eleven across 17 down. That is the fun part. So I take one dark, then one light, etc., pin them together and make a row, and on and on. I can't wait until it is done. It is going to be the backing on a child's quilt with fun stuff on the squares for them to look at! A little more time consuming, but it sure does use up the stash fast. I don't save anything under 2-1/2" so I do have a lot to make 5-1/2" squares.

Have fun! Edie

grann of 6 09-28-2012 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by knlsmith (Post 5543886)
So I was thinking. I know, scary. What if you had a bunch of squares and/or HST, threw them up un the air, then straightened into rows where they land and sewed then into a quilt with reckless abandon?

I don't like scrappy, but I an thinking about trying this.

You can always do what I do....I lay my blocks out on the floor in a pleasing manner, then my Great Dane comes over and rearranges them for me, and that's the way I sew them.:D

Beckster 09-28-2012 04:35 AM

Actually, I think that sounds like fun. Too many projects ahead of it though, but some day.....

annthreecats 09-28-2012 07:03 AM

That's almost the same way I made the quilt in my avatar. I wanted it to look old fashioned and scrappy and that's exactly what I got. It is being well loved by a cousin in NY now.

Janice Thompson 09-28-2012 07:39 AM

Its got so that I only like to do scrappy quilts. The traditional quilts are beautiful but I have fallen in love with the scrappy. Maybe its because I'm over run with scraps. Please post after to assemble the tossed quilt...I may try this if it's successful....

milikaa1 09-28-2012 07:59 AM

I think that is a great idea!

batikmystique 09-28-2012 08:01 AM

LOL...I am the same way! I LOVE scrappy quilts but can't do one to save my life. Funny though, when I see someone else's scrappy quilt I can find many "clashing" pieces that I would have never have thought to put next to each other. But looking at their quilt overall, it works. Still can't figure that one out. If I did a scrappy quilt, I would need a fellow Quilter at my side forcing me to sew the clashing pieces together...ha! Hmmm...maybe really committing to do a quilt with the grab and sew method might help me overcome my OCD...could be liberating!!! :-)

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5544571)
I am hopeless at scrappy quilts. I try the just grab and sew method but when I put two pieces under the needle that scream " clash" to me, I can't resist reaching for a better match. Good luck!