Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusibles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusibles-t130548.html)

Woodster 06-14-2011 05:08 PM

The following was taken out of an article by Toni Carroll, a fabric artist.

Fusible Interfacings:

Always preshrink fusible interfacing by imersing in a pan of hot water from kitchen faucet. Let sit until it cools. Blot dry and lay flat or over rods, fusible side up, to air dry. This will insure a better bond and eliminate those awful bubbles.

I don't know if she does this only for her garment art, or for everything. Anyone else do this?

MTS 06-14-2011 05:23 PM

I never did it, and I never heard of anyone doing it.

But I haven't had "bubbles" either. Something to keep in mind if I ever do.
Thanks.

LivelyLady 06-14-2011 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
I never did it, and I never heard of anyone doing it.

But I haven't had "bubbles" either. Something to keep in mind if I ever do.
Thanks.

Same here but will be watching to see if anyone has done this technique.

dellareya 06-14-2011 06:52 PM

I've never heard of it. I've had success with fusible fleece just by following the directions.

nativetexan 06-14-2011 07:14 PM

oops. never mind. mis read it.

Scissor Queen 06-14-2011 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Woodster
The following was taken out of an article by Toni Carroll, a fabric artist.

Fusible Interfacings:

Always preshrink fusible interfacing by imersing in a pan of hot water from kitchen faucet. Let sit until it cools. Blot dry and lay flat or over rods, fusible side up, to air dry. This will insure a better bond and eliminate those awful bubbles.

I don't know if she does this only for her garment art, or for everything. Anyone else do this?

I've never used fusible interfacing in a quilt. Fusible interfacing and fusible web are two different things.

Peckish 06-14-2011 09:17 PM

I was recently given this advice on another forum in response to a question I had posted. I've made several blouses and used fusible interfacing on the buttonhole and button plackets, and that part of the blouse ALWAYS needs pressing and stretching back out after washing. Someone told me to pre-shrink it, which I was unaware you had to do.

Learn something new every day!

Scissor Queen 06-14-2011 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I was recently given this advice on another forum in response to a question I had posted. I've made several blouses and used fusible interfacing on the buttonhole and button plackets, and that part of the blouse ALWAYS needs pressing and stretching back out after washing. Someone told me to pre-shrink it, which I was unaware you had to do.

Learn something new every day!

i gave up clothing sewing before they had fusible interfacing. It definitely make sense for making clothing though.

MTS 06-15-2011 02:08 AM

I used fusible interfacing when making woven blocks, but then they were stabilized by the sewing. Again, I didn't have any issues with "bubbles." Maybe it also has to do with the type of fabric being fused.

Anyway, the info is filed away should I ever need it. Thanks.