Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FYI when ordering online (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fyi-when-ordering-online-t93796.html)

AUQuilter 01-25-2011 12:59 PM

Last week I checked out a sale at Erica's Sewing for a 75% off sale (posted here) and found some great fabrics that would round out some of my projects. I ordered 11 items knowing that a few could be sold out due to timing of order and update of website. I received 5 items and was charged what I thought to be excess postage. I did contact them and they adjusted my charges. That is good but there is one thing you should know- they tack on a $1 handling charge. In their reply: "We really to try to ship the least expensive way (actual shipping cost + $1.00 handling)."

melhuff 01-25-2011 01:07 PM

IF they are actually only charging the actual shipping cost, that might not be too bad...remember they do have the cost of the boxes, packing material, personnel to pull & pack your order, person who took the order and put it into their system...the list goes on. The company I work for, if for example, a customer wants to use their own shipping (UPS, FedEx, ect) account, they charge $2.50 per box for the above fees.
Sometimes there are lots of hidden extras we dont think about.
Thanks!
Melinda

AUQuilter 01-25-2011 01:10 PM

I don't have a problem with the handling fee if it was on their website. Full disclosure so I can make an informed financial decision.

craftybear 01-25-2011 01:18 PM

thanks for letting us know

Originally Posted by AUQuilter
Last week I checked out a sale at Erica's Sewing for a 75% off sale (posted here) and found some great fabrics that would round out some of my projects. I ordered 11 items knowing that a few could be sold out due to timing of order and update of website. I received 5 items and was charged what I thought to be excess postage. I did contact them and they adjusted my charges. That is good but there is one thing you should know- they tack on a $1 handling charge. In their reply: "We really to try to ship the least expensive way (actual shipping cost + $1.00 handling)."

plainpat 01-25-2011 01:24 PM

I agree with you. Don't be adding charges "surprises" to my bill unless I've agreed to them.How can I agree when they're hidden? Not a good business move.

Originally Posted by AUQuilter
I don't have a problem with the handling fee if it was on their website. Full disclosure so I can make an informed financial decision.

amma 01-25-2011 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by melhuff
IF they are actually only charging the actual shipping cost, that might not be too bad...remember they do have the cost of the boxes, packing material, personnel to pull & pack your order, person who took the order and put it into their system...the list goes on. The company I work for, if for example, a customer wants to use their own shipping (UPS, FedEx, ect) account, they charge $2.50 per box for the above fees.
Sometimes there are lots of hidden extras we dont think about.
Thanks!
Melinda

I agree, packaging and packing material all are a part of the shipping costs as well as labor. Either they add it onto the shipping costs or into the costs of the items :D:D:D