Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gadgets you feel are worth the money. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gadgets-you-feel-worth-money-t174154.html)

tjradj 01-02-2012 02:59 PM

I'm a fan of my June Taylor rulers, and wouldn't be caught sewing without my hemostats at my table. I have 2 pair - one from my nursing days (expensive) and one pair I got at a surplus store in the fishing department (very inexpensive). I use them for grabbing the bottom thread to pull it to the top, to hold a needle when changing it, to hold the thread when trying to thread the needle of my sewing machine that doesn't have the automatic threader, for pulling a needle through stubborn fabric, for pulling small thread bits out of a seam, and the list goes on. I've also used them to hold a small piece of batting to dust out the bobbin area. To quote a hotsauce commercial -- I use that **** on everything lol.

deemail 01-02-2012 03:06 PM

nippers for the bed of the sewing machine... truecut sharpener for rotary blades... alex anderson 4 in 1 tool (wooden iron, point turner, seam ripper, awl), tube turner...love this..., 6 x 24 ruler and allllll my square-up rulers....

luvTooQuilt 01-02-2012 03:27 PM

Sandpaper dots for my templates, or OmniGrip .. Life savers for me..
dull-Pointed chopstick for perfect corners when 'birthing'
5in Gingher scissors- use them for EVERYTHING
1x4 ruler for marking lines on smaller sqs

carolaug 01-02-2012 03:37 PM

I have never thought of getting a 1/4 ruler...what a great idea! I am teaching my daughter inlaw to quilt and that is an area where she needs help.

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt (Post 4835483)
Sandpaper dots for my templates, or OmniGrip .. Life savers for me..
dull-Pointed chopstick for perfect corners when 'birthing'
5in Gingher scissors- use them for EVERYTHING
1x4 ruler for marking lines on smaller sqs

carolaug 01-02-2012 03:42 PM

I have never heard of June Tailr fray block. I will have to give it a try. I use Dritz Fray check and so far like it. I am making a drunkards path raw edge and used 606 spray and I think I may use fray check with it. I did that for my last quilt and it worked great. I heard you can just use the 606 to prevent fraying and as a fusible but I am so nervous that the 606 along may not work. Has anyone just used the 606? if so..any issues with fraying?[h=1][/h]

Originally Posted by lfstamper (Post 4835307)
June Tailor fray block for applique

jaciqltznok 01-02-2012 03:47 PM

my purple thang, my binding tool, sandpaper dots, and the little thread cutter I put on the side of my machines!

nhweaver 01-02-2012 04:10 PM

My Ott lights are my favorite, couldn't sew at night without them.

deedum 01-02-2012 04:21 PM

The magnetic wand to pick up the pins. My nylon scrubbie to wipe the cutting mat or iron board off with.

pinkberrykay 01-02-2012 04:23 PM

Did you pay the $6.00 to ship it? I found it on Amazon.com for $6.04 plus 4.04 shipping. Or. $10.39 free shipping.

Originally Posted by carolaug (Post 4835183)

BellaBoo 01-02-2012 05:42 PM

I have too many to list them all.

Steady Betty, Grace rotary blade sharpener, Sidewinder, Rule Steady, rotating cutting mat, Simplicity Bias tape machine,...