Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gadgets you feel are worth the money. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gadgets-you-feel-worth-money-t174154.html)

feffertim 01-04-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj (Post 4835406)
I'm a fan of my June Taylor rulers, and wouldn't be caught sewing without my hemostats at my table. I have 2 pair - one from my nursing days (expensive) and one pair I got at a surplus store in the fishing department (very inexpensive). I use them for grabbing the bottom thread to pull it to the top, to hold a needle when changing it, to hold the thread when trying to thread the needle of my sewing machine that doesn't have the automatic threader, for pulling a needle through stubborn fabric, for pulling small thread bits out of a seam, and the list goes on. I've also used them to hold a small piece of batting to dust out the bobbin area. To quote a hotsauce commercial -- I use that **** on everything lol.

I have no idea what hemostats are, please explain

feffertim 01-04-2012 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by tjradj (Post 4835406)
I'm a fan of my June Taylor rulers, and wouldn't be caught sewing without my hemostats at my table. I have 2 pair - one from my nursing days (expensive) and one pair I got at a surplus store in the fishing department (very inexpensive). I use them for grabbing the bottom thread to pull it to the top, to hold a needle when changing it, to hold the thread when trying to thread the needle of my sewing machine that doesn't have the automatic threader, for pulling a needle through stubborn fabric, for pulling small thread bits out of a seam, and the list goes on. I've also used them to hold a small piece of batting to dust out the bobbin area. To quote a hotsauce commercial -- I use that **** on everything lol.

I have never heard of a hemostat. Please explain

littleone 01-04-2012 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieH (Post 4838049)
A glass of dry white wine after another 'ripping' session.

LOL....................Still giggling........

Betty Ruth 01-04-2012 07:22 PM

Gadgets I could not do without are: A set of squares 2 1/2, 3 1/2 & 4 1/2 and the 6 1/2 square. I'm having to learn how to do with out my 2 1/2 by 10 1/2 inch ruler. I've looked everywhere for a replacement with no luck. The closest is a 2 1/2 by 18 inches. The longer ruler is a little awkward at times, but there are times when the longer length is useful. I 'd still like one that is a foot long, or a little shorter. My neighbor has told me to cut the longer one off to the desired length, but I don't want to do that.

3plus2granny 01-04-2012 07:39 PM

The Wahl is one inch wide and about four inches long.Lay it flat on a table and hold the top piece taut. I did a lot of ripping and only snipped once. Just be careful is the answer. It was easy to just zip and not pay close attention.

lonestardreams 01-04-2012 07:50 PM

I love my magnetic pin cushions- one for the table and one for my wrist. I use the purple thang and my thread snippers a lot. Rotary cutters and a good ruler- love, love love.

Janis 01-04-2012 08:53 PM

June Taylor Fray block goes on wet and dries without showing. The fabric looks and feels the same as it did before you put the stuff on it. With the Fray Check, I've found that it leaves a shiny surface where it is used. I think it sometimes leaves a hard finish on the fabric.

Hemostats are what they use when putting stitches in your skin during an operation and also for sewing up wounds. Fishermen use them when they tie their fishing hooks. They look like long tweezers with scissor handles, but just with just 2 little thumb and finger holes, not the larger ones for more fingers to fit in. Does this make sense?

The things I really like to take with me when I travel and take my machine anywhere and also have near the machine at home is my June Taylor Cut & Press and a small travel iron that has a handle that folds down. The iron also is a steam iron and can shoot steam if I wish. A very handy little iron.

paulettepoe 01-04-2012 09:12 PM

accuquilt go

JOMARIE 01-04-2012 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by sewmary (Post 4841249)
Oh please - what is the brand of your rotary cutter?

Martelli Ergonomic Rotary Cutters & Blades

JOMARIE 01-04-2012 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Veronica (Post 4841108)
My favorite gadgets are the June Tailor slotted rulers, I just love them.

I too love these they are great