Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   garage sales (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/garage-sales-t1235.html)

Knot Sew 06-09-2007 03:55 PM

In the snow states this is big garage sale time. I finally got some fabric and a quilt book. I got Better Homes and Gardens 501 Quilt Blocks for 2 dollars and a bag of fabric for one dollar. :P

Has any one made some good finds this year? I just missed two old quilt tops that went for 3 dollars each :roll:

june6995 06-09-2007 06:19 PM

About 2 months ago I went to an advertised estate sale offering crafts, sewing supplies, etc. When I got there I found the basement of this house crammed full of "stuff". A sign on the wall said " fabrics $3. a bag" so I asked someone how big the bag was. "Oh it is one of those plastic bags hanging on the doorknob." A plastic grocery bag! Well, I could handle that.
I had sorted out pieces I wanted for quilting. When it came time to pack my bag, I folded, then rolled each piece (tightly) and filled the bag with fabric and no air ! When I got home I discovered I had 26 yards of fabric. that made my day! And I had found some belt buckles for a friend who was using them on quilted handbags. HAPPY! HAPPY!!

Norah 06-10-2007 05:21 AM

Just yesterday, I got 5 bags of fabric and 2 quilt batts for $5, and a White sewing machine with some fancy stitches for same. It is so heavy I cannot carry it, all metal gears. Yahoo :D :D

june6995 06-10-2007 05:55 AM

GREAT! that machine will serve you well for a long time. Those old heavy ones were made to last.

Now I am thinking I need to start going to sales, but I need to wait until I get back into my sewing room. It is almost finsihed, I thnk!

Don't you feel good when you find a bargain? I do!!

June

bbwalkup 06-10-2007 08:00 AM

I'm jealous of that Quilt block book for $2.00, I paid over $20 for mine new!! I wish more people around here quilted, our yard sales aren't that fun. :cry:

june6995 06-10-2007 09:06 AM

Here is a hint about buying books.....try www.half.com for good buys. I bought the same book, some months ago for a small price but of course had to add the shipping charges. It was still a good buy. Used book sales on line are always a good source. You can do a google and find places that sell them at much lower prices than the HalfPrice books stores. I just received a gift card for HalfPrice and really don't like to go there.

June

Marybeth 06-14-2007 06:41 PM

Does your local library sell books?

I went to mine last nite and found a hardcover book for $1. It's on small quilted projects with patterns and how-to's.

Marybeth

ceannastahr 06-14-2007 09:00 PM

I never find anything good at sales around my home either mostly childerns clothes and toys. Someday maybe I'll get lucky and find a good sale too.

Knot Sew 06-15-2007 04:37 AM

I usually take a carload of grand kids,"with their own money". I think I go to 25 before I find something good for me. I haven't bought much. A few clothes, a ice tea machine, a bread machine, 2 old wood lawn chairs, A wax machine for aching hands. a t fall electric grill. I went to a lot of sales to get this, and it was all cheap.....I only go in a five mi radius on Sat because of gas prices, Don't give up you'll find something. PS Only take money you can afford to spend. I spend a lot of weekends home. :wink:

kathy 06-15-2007 08:03 AM

Ruth, what do you think of the wax?Is it worth the trouble?