Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gees Bend quilts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gees-bend-quilts-t45211.html)

Miss Purple Shoes 05-08-2010 04:13 AM

I have been reading about the Gees Bend Quilters in a magazine here in the UK. They are truely beautiful and with the story behind them quite historical. I would like to have a go at making one - the article I read said no scissors, seam allowance or pattern! I am a little scared at taking the step to try one- any suggestions? Anyone made one before who can offer some advice?

mama's place 05-08-2010 04:23 AM

I've seen their quilts on display and I personally love the originality of them. Others on here don't all agree. Since they were made with whatever was on hand and the stitching isn't the best. Almost like modern art, though. LUV em, myself.

I've bought one of the kits but haven't done anything with it yet. They were pretty reasonable I thought. Shipping might be expensive for you though. You could just use bright solids and arrange your fabrics similarly. The arrangement isn't difficult. I've bought LazyGal. You can probably find a pattern if you feel that you need one. Good Luck.

gaigai 05-08-2010 04:23 AM

Where was the article you read? No scissors?? How did they cut the material? I've always admired the quilts, but wow!

Rebecca VLQ 05-08-2010 04:51 AM

Linky?

beachlady 05-08-2010 04:53 AM

Me too ....no scissors??? The quilts are unique though

Holice 05-08-2010 04:57 AM

the quilts made from the kits won't look like the originals as they kits are all cut accurately. I would assume the "no scissors" means with the kit there is no cutting other than in length. I have tried to discover how the originals were made but no one can tell me other than the quiltmaker cut by "eye" so to speak without templates or patterns and just estimated the size and didn't worry about matched seams. I believe if one made a similar quilt one of the important things would be to cut all pieces with scissors and not the rotary cutter.here is an interesting book titled "Accidently on Purpose" that has a lot of information about how the quiltmaker worked.

GrammaNancy 05-08-2010 05:28 AM

These are wonderful quilts...I had never seen them before But wow, they are those ladies art!

Miss Purple Shoes 05-08-2010 08:51 AM

Thanks for your replies. The article was in British patchwork and quliting magazine. From what I understand from the article, the idea is to tear the fabric not cut it specifically. Then you have to design the blocks by using a newspaper and scale up the blocks ( of the articles in the newspaper) to quilt size. It is suggested that you use court house steps, post and rail and log cabin as block formations. I will try to take a breath and give it a go and post pictures sometime in the future.... wish me luck

mygirl66 05-08-2010 09:22 AM

My soon to be hubby took me to the exhibit for Valintines Day, and wow, glad Im not the only one making one. I found alot of different types of fabric, denim, cords, just misc things, and started sewing, like them no pattern really, just a " make due one". I will have him help me post it when Im done.

Miss Purple Shoes 05-08-2010 09:53 AM

Brill would love to see one. Any tips?