Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   getting DARK pencils markings out (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/getting-dark-pencils-markings-out-t93020.html)

pinkie 01-23-2011 01:45 AM

my mother made me a beautiful double wedding ring quilt. she had it quilted by the amish. the pencil markings for the quilting are so very DARK that we haven't even attempted to get them out and it had been 2 good years now. please help us with some suggestions for this mess. we hope that there is still some simple solution. we are located in cold old southern ohio----would it be better to tackle this in the spring or summer????? thanks to you great quilting friends....... :-D

ckcowl 01-23-2011 02:27 AM

have you washed the quilt yet? pencil usually comes out just fine, and cotton quilts only become softer and more beautiful with washing. i wash mine with warm water...not hot... on a gentle cycle and i dry it (look to make sure all the pencil is out before the dryer--you can spray a little (aide along the pencil lines --like shout,) if the quilt was made fairly recently...with modern day fabrics it is going to be just beautiful once it gets washed. that should always be the last step of quilt making...quilted, bound, washed and dried... then it is ready for it's new life.

purplemem 01-23-2011 03:19 AM

Use a Magic Eraser, very wet. It gets the marks out great.

kwilter 01-23-2011 09:48 AM

I'd love to know where the Magic Eraser is available, please. I could use it!

Originally Posted by purplemem

nativetexan 01-23-2011 09:56 AM

i had to soak in Oxy clean to get yrs old pencil marks out. rubbed the lines too. worked well for me.

purplemem 01-23-2011 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by kwilter

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is available at every Dollar Store, Walmart, and grocery store. It is in the detergent/stain remover area. They are 2 in a package for $3. They look like a white sponge, get it very wet and scrub with it. It's magic!

Gerbie 01-23-2011 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by kwilter

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser is available at every Dollar Store, Walmart, and grocery store. It is in the detergent/stain remover area. They are 2 in a package for $3. They look like a white sponge, get it very wet and scrub with it. It's magic!

I use these all the time. I think I will try using one to see if I can get some dye stain out of a quilt that I made and when washed one of the fabrics used bled even though all fab. was prewashed. It is a double wedding ring. I have tried about everything I can think of and everything from all others. I will definitely try that too. Thanks for the suggestion.

sewwhat85 01-23-2011 12:59 PM

they really are magic