Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Getting frustrated here... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/getting-frustrated-here-t82739.html)

Becky Crafts 12-14-2010 06:48 AM

I am trying so hard to finish my churn dash quilt with the fussy cut centers. It was so pretty & was going so well, right up until the fabric shortage one block short of finishing the top & my sandwiching it! During making it I've run out of main fabrics, pinned the sandwich together twice because of a long cattycorner wrinkle in the backing & it's gone downhill from there. This morning I found out I'm a yard short on the binding & I must have clipped some of the fabric (that I'd run out of) on the front when clipping threads because I found a hole. I can not get rid of this quilt fast enough!!! My oldest daughter is waiting for it & it's just going from bad to worse.

erstan947 12-14-2010 06:50 AM

Step back, do something else then do what is necessary to make it right. Your daughter will love it no matter what and be sure to not point out any errors:)

Becky Crafts 12-14-2010 07:05 AM

Although I've SID all around each block, I want to tie the center of each block. I got the embroidery floss out last night (just before the bird tried to make a work of art out of the skein), so...my question is, how much floss do I need to make each tie. Is four inches too short to get the ends in & tie it or should I cut longer pieces maybe 6", then trim it back?

sueisallaboutquilts 12-14-2010 07:14 AM

Becky, I make ties just long enough to work with and then trim them when I'm finished.
Your bird sounds like a character! lol :D

stewyscrewy 12-14-2010 07:14 AM

I did one years back that I tied and I went with 6 and cut them back, 4 was too short to handle to me.

raptureready 12-14-2010 07:18 AM

This is the very reason that I always buy at least a yard more of each fabric than I think I'll need.

Sorry you're having problems with this quilt. Set it aside for a few days then go back to it.

Bindings don't have to be all one fabric. I've made some beautiful bindings by cutting varying lengths of all the different fabrics in the quilt and sewing them together randomly.

irishrose 12-14-2010 07:25 AM

You don't cut the ties at all until after you've put the thread in the quilt unless you're fond of threading the needle. Thread with a very long piece, put the stitch in the quilt, pull it through it's until about three inches from the end, then cut the long thread to match. Go on to the next one. Go back, tie the ends - you can use a surgeon's knot - then trim to desired length.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. There are days that make the quilts in Penney's catalog look good, but those aren't made with the love that's gone into this one. Can we see a picture?

Grama Lehr 12-14-2010 07:29 AM

The quilt that I'm making for my DGD will be one row short, kinda for the same reasons. I was cutting the last two blocks, which were five fabric strips sewed together, and I measured by starting at ONE instead of zero!! They were strip sets of five different fabrics, and I was too short to make any more, so now she will get a slightly shorter quilt and a matching pillow!!!
When life gives you lemons, make lemon aid!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Becky Crafts 12-14-2010 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
This is the very reason that I always buy at least a yard more of each fabric than I think I'll need.

Sorry you're having problems with this quilt. Set it aside for a few days then go back to it.

Bindings don't have to be all one fabric. I've made some beautiful bindings by cutting varying lengths of all the different fabrics in the quilt and sewing them together randomly.

It was a big piece of fabric 10 yrs ago, but has been used many times in small quantities. I purchased the binding & simply miscalculated how much I'd need. I bought two packs because the first quilt I made I used an actual pattern & it called for 6 yds & it worked. Finances are tight, so I've been nickel & diming it. I'll get through this, but this quilt is not on favorites list. :-)

Becky Crafts 12-14-2010 08:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by irishrose
You don't cut the ties at all until after you've put the thread in the quilt unless you're fond of threading the needle. Thread with a very long piece, put the stitch in the quilt, pull it through it's until about three inches from the end, then cut the long thread to match. Go on to the next one. Go back, tie the ends - you can use a surgeon's knot - then trim to desired length.

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. There are days that make the quilts in Penney's catalog look good, but those aren't made with the love that's gone into this one. Can we see a picture?

Thank you, I like your way better than mine. I'll try it tomorrow. Today I'm too frustrated with it. Here's 3 pics of it. It's cold/windy outside & very tiny inside. They'll give you the idea anyway.