Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Getting your quilt tops quilted... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/getting-your-quilt-tops-quilted-t17124.html)

Ms Grace 03-01-2009 07:40 PM

I'm thinking of having a quilt top quilted at my local quilt shop.
I'm tired of fighting with the tops to try to get them quilted here on my machine.
I've finished one by tying it (was ok, I like the quilted look better),
I've tried quilting one in sections (that was ok, but after the second washing, I have a couple of small places coming unsewn on the back :cry: , looks like where the fabric was overlapped on back was not wide enough) Any suggestions on this problem?
What is a good price to get this done?

judy_68 03-01-2009 07:43 PM

Im glad Im not the only one who has trouble with quilting. I have so much to learn.
Judy in Ohio

pocoellie 03-01-2009 08:04 PM

I found a gal in Fresno that does it very reasonable and does a good job. The last one I took to her in Nov.07 was a full size, I supplied top,batting,backing, she quilted for $35.00. If you would like her name and phone number, PM me.

jacquemoe 03-01-2009 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by pocoellie
I found a gal in Fresno that does it very reasonable and does a good job. The last one I took to her in Nov.07 was a full size, I supplied top,batting,backing, she quilted for $35.00. If you would like her name and phone number, PM me.

Can we get a photo of that quilt? I want to see what you get for that price. I am amazed.

Bevsie 03-01-2009 08:46 PM

Hi,

Wow......$35 for a full size quilt to be quilted....that's unreal! Lucky!!!

I usually don't quilt anything myself bigger than a small lap quilt. I haven't even paid less than $45, and that was a baby quilt! I wanted a pattern on it, and I don't do patterns.

Normally the cost is between $85-$135, and if I want custom quilting it is quite a bit more money. A huge quilt like the Thimbleberries club year quilt is like $200 to get quilted. I supply the batting, and the backing and choose the thread.

I will stitch in the ditch in larger quilts, but if I want meandering I pay for quilting. I don't enjoy the process on big quilts and writing a check is much easier on my stress level.

Check around, long arm quilters have different rates.....be sure to check the quality of their work. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.....would be awful to have a lousy job done on your masterpiece.

Bev

Quilt4u 03-02-2009 04:39 AM

Wow!!! $ 35.00 Around here $75.00 and on up. Nothing less.

pocoellie 03-02-2009 06:24 AM

Jacque- I'll have to see if I can get my friend to take a picture of it. I didn't have a digital camera at the time, have one now, but I'm 500 miles away. I'll call her today and see if she can send me some pictures.

Carmen

MollieSue 03-02-2009 08:56 AM

You can look on Ebay, I have one long arm quilter saved in my favorites for if I ever get a big one done and have the money to have someone else quilt it....

The site I saved charges $50 + $15 shipping to do a twin/full size. $65, with $18 shipping for a queen/king size. Plus, you'd have to pay to ship it all to her of course. They quarantee a two week turnaround.

So it sounds like this is fairly comparable to what you might get done locally, if you know someone.
:-)

Ms Grace 03-02-2009 09:18 AM

Called my local quilt shop today. She charges $15 a square yard to quilt.
(that's for a choice of stipples or some pantogram designs)
So a 65 x 65 quilt would be $45, plus $2 thread charge.
Does this sound like a good price??
She also said she could baste the whole top at 3" apart for $15.

Shelley 03-02-2009 09:27 AM

That is pretty inexpensive. It works out to about .011 per square inch. It will be interesting to see what you can get for that price.