Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gift for friend who sews? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gift-friend-who-sews-t205271.html)

HillCountryGal 11-06-2012 12:38 PM

In agreement with most... no pin cushions.
If it were me, I'd love time spent together. Then, possibly a gift certificate.

jillmc 11-06-2012 12:49 PM

Thank you for all of your thoughtful replies. I am treating my friend to lunch for her birthday, and just wanted a little something to give her........She quilts some-mostly does blocks for a group at church, and she does sewing for grandbabies and house decor. She likes "artsy" stuff........I was hoping to find a pretty felted wool/embroidered pin cushion....

AnnieH 11-06-2012 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by quilt addict (Post 5639149)
Maybe if she is a quilter, you could find a class to take together and make a day spent together doing something you both enjoy!

What a fabulous idea.
Annie

janRN 11-06-2012 02:44 PM

Here's a neat site: www.GiftsForQuilters.com. Lots of charms, scissor markers, etc.

aborning 11-06-2012 03:22 PM

Does she quilt. Do you know what she has for rulers, notions. etc. I just bought a cuting matt that is on something like a lazy susan. I love it for trimming up blocks. I bought mine for around $27 at JoAnns' with a 40% off coupon. Or get her a Gift Certificate to Connecting Threads.com. They have both fabric, threads, kits, notions, and books so she would surely find something she likes there. I buy a lot from there.

jcrow 11-06-2012 03:37 PM

If you think she would like a pin cushion, give her one. You know her better than anyone here does! They are always nice gifts!!!!

auntpiggylpn 11-06-2012 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow (Post 5639610)
If you think she would like a pin cushion, give her one. You know her better than anyone here does! They are always nice gifts!!!!

I agree! Lots of sewers and quilters collect pin cushions and use them to decorate their sewing space. I think it is a terrific idea to find a fabulous, fancy one to gift to her! I did a search on Etsy.com for just "pin cushion" in handmade and lots of really cool ones came up. I also did a search for "Vintage Pin Cushion" and some fabulous ones showed up! In fact, there are several of the vintage that I am sending out to friends and family as suggestions for birthday and christmas presents! I consider myself pretty "artsy" and I love vintage sewing notions!

vondae 11-06-2012 06:44 PM

How about a thread catcher/pin cushion? I made some & I love, love, .love mine

francie yuhas 11-06-2012 06:54 PM

How about one of those fancy thimble case like the Victorian quilters used?

bigsister63 11-07-2012 07:00 AM

Great ideas, Ladies. I will remember them when I need a special gift. JLLMC, since you know your friend better than us, give her what she would like. If that is a pin cushipon then great. It would be really nice if you made it yourself!!!!!