Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Giving some serious consideration to hand piecing/quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/giving-some-serious-consideration-hand-piecing-quilting-t202946.html)

Jackie Spencer 10-11-2012 10:56 AM

I love hand piecing, its so relaxing. I made the quilt "Eldon" this summer, the 4 inch log cabins I did on the machine but the rest was all done by hand.

humbird 10-11-2012 11:34 AM

I do both. Some days (or weeks!) I just don't have the energy to go back to the sewing room. I love my hand work projects. Both piecing and quilting. I finished 2 GFG quilts for 2 grandsons who were married this past summer. All hand done. I am now working on a hexagon quilt in diamonds rather than the the traditional "flowers". These are all EPPed one inch hexies. I have a few projects in the sewing room to work on when it strikes my fancy. I have done red work and applique by hand. I did a machine applique SBS, but really don't care for that process. I say go for it, and I hope you enjoy the ride!!

humbird 10-11-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer (Post 5578298)
I love hand piecing, its so relaxing. I made the quilt "Eldon" this summer, the 4 inch log cabins I did on the machine but the rest was all done by hand.

I had not heard of "The Eldon" quilt before, so just googled it. A beautiful quilt and a beautiful story that goes with it. Would love to see your quilt. Have you posted a photo?

ckcowl 10-11-2012 12:13 PM

i always have a hand project (or 3) going --- i work on them while watching movies, games, riding in the car, waiting at appointments- and i get alot done. i don't do everything by hand but i think i would be lost without a hand project to work on while (sitting around)

gramajo 10-11-2012 12:24 PM

I'd be able to watch more TV if I could hand sew, but can't due to my RA--I can't hold a needle anymore. As it is, I machine sew and listen to the TV in the next room. I usually listen to 20/20, Dateline-type shows or the Nascar races. I know I miss a lot, especially with the races. lol It would be so nice to take handwork to Dr. appointments, etc. I waste a lot of time waiting.

Swalters12 10-11-2012 01:45 PM

I love hand quilting because I can take it anywhere. I can control my points a lot better. Good luck to you.

NJ Quilter 10-12-2012 04:51 AM

I don't do that much hand piecing but I do hand quilt almost all of my quilts. Wouldn't know what to do without some form of handwork. Before starting to quilt I did alot of counted cross stitch, knitting, crocheting, etc. Have always had to have some form of handwork available. I really don't have much of a schedule myself either. Has it's ups and downs. I usually machine piece while DH is either at work or off to one of the many organizations he to which he belongs. Then I do my handquilting while he's home and we're just chatting or watching TV. Best of both worlds for me.

bearisgray 10-12-2012 05:30 AM

I like to hand piece intricate blocks - they are so much easier to press (because all the seam allowances can go which ever way works best) when they are done by hand than by machine.

hsquiltingmom 10-12-2012 05:46 AM

I do both hand piecing and machine piecing. I started hand piecing so I would have something to do at times that I am waiting for appointments or whatever. I find I take it to work with me and work on it during my breaks, it goes in the motorhome with me, so that when we stop for meals or just a break, I have something to work on if I am waiting for things to cook or whatever. I have some quilts that I hand quilt, and some that I am going to machine quilt. Most of the Christmas gifts will be machine quilted just because I don't have time to hand quilt them all. I also home school my children and I find that when we are reading, I can sit and work on piecing or quilting.

alderdweller 10-12-2012 06:07 AM

We also travel a good deal in our small motorhome, sometimes up to a month or so. My space is very limited, but I am sure I can find a spot for some handwork. I really miss my quilting when we're on the road, so this is just another reason for me to give it a try.
I did hand-quilt my first quilt a couple years ago. Now it's time to try piecing.

Also, a question about pressing. I normally have my iron set up by my machine and press almost every piece as I sew. Is that necessary with hand piecing?

Thanks for your encouragement and tips!