Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Giving some serious consideration to hand piecing/quilting (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/giving-some-serious-consideration-hand-piecing-quilting-t202946.html)

alderdweller 10-11-2012 08:54 AM

Giving some serious consideration to hand piecing/quilting

Ya know, I don't do as much sewing as I'd like because it just sometimes seems like such a chore to go to the sewing room, get everything just set up perfect, lighting ect.
My mom did everything from start to finish by hand. No fancy rulers, no rotary cutter, just scissors, pattern, needle, thread, and thimble. And she made many, many beautiful, intricate quilts!
When I think about all the time I waste, watching tv, or waiting on appointments, or just generally sitting around resting...I think although slower, I would still get a ton more things done by hand.
Hmmmm,
Maybe I'll at least start one by hand and see how it goes.

KalamaQuilts 10-11-2012 08:59 AM

I've been quilting since 1970. My mother asked me yesterday how many billions of quilts I have.
My response was I make intricate quilts very slowly :) If utility quilts or hundreds of charity quilts was my goal it would be more practical for me to buy blankets or make cash donations. I don't quilt as work, I quilt for the pure joy of it, probably why it has always remained a passion. (and we don't have a TV and I limit my time online to no more than 2 hours a day...makes a lot of difference in how easily I can prioritize my life)

If you want to hand piece the easy way do check out Linda Franz's inklingo

edited to add: rereading my post it sounds preachy, absolutely didn't mean it that way, but as encouragement to enjoy the process.

PenniF 10-11-2012 09:02 AM

I agree - i love my hand pieced projects - from crazy quilt squares to applique to dresden plate to regular pieced squares - tho i still use some of my tools for cutting - i find it really relaxing - it's really amazing how much you can get done watching a program or two in the evening. One confession - i take the time to mark my 1/4 inch lines on my fabric....the time i "waste" doing that is more than made up for in the speed with which i can stitch - and the accuracy of my units. Go for it !!!

Prism99 10-11-2012 09:06 AM

I really like hand piecing. If you have the opportunity, see if you can watch a Jinny Beyer presentation on how she hand pieces -- it's really fast! Years ago I borrowed this video from the library, and it really helped my hand piecing (not that I will ever achieve her speed). Love the portability of hand piecing.

Edit: Found this DVD (Oops! Sorry, just looked at it again and it's a CD-ROM that you play on a computer), not exactly the same as the video I watched years ago but still would be good:
http://www.amazon.com/Hand-Piecing-J...inny+beyer+dvd

Definitely check your library for it, or request it through inter-library loan. (Not sure if libraries do CD-ROM's? Haven't been in ages.......)

Peckish 10-11-2012 09:48 AM

I love handwork to take along on flights, appointments, while watching tv, etc. My mom recently went into the hospital for emergency surgery and I wasn't prepared with a project that was ready to go! I ended up taking a crochet project.

Jinny Beyer also has a book that illustrates her hand-piecing and quilting.

http://www.amazon.com/Quiltmaking-Ha...9977685&sr=1-2

alderdweller 10-11-2012 10:06 AM

Nope, didn't sound preachy at all to me. Appreciate any tips I can get :)

edited to add: rereading my post it sounds preachy, absolutely didn't mean it that way, but as encouragement to enjoy the process.[/QUOTE]

Tartan 10-11-2012 10:12 AM

​I enjoy hand work but I don't enjoy hand piecing. I do my Redwork and hand sew bindings while I watch TV.

feline fanatic 10-11-2012 10:31 AM

I too love having handwork to do. You are correct in your assumption that you can get a lot done while sitting in front of the TV. I have never tried hand piecing but I have hand quilted several quilts and when I don't have one, I truly miss it. I have recently discovered hand applique. I completed a prepared hand applique top last year. Prepared is when the seam allowance is turned under on the units before you applique them, as opposed to needle turn where you turn the allowance under with the needle as you applique. I am in the process of teaching myself needle turn and love it so far. Go for it. You may find you really like it.

SouthPStitches 10-11-2012 10:38 AM

Haven't hand pieced in ages, but made about six full sized quilts where every single stitch was done by hand. For me at least, those quilts I have the fondest memories of making. It gave me such satisfaction and have remained my all-time favorites. They have withstood the test of time too. I machine wash the hand pieced/quilted. I still hand quilt almost everything I make. A lot can be said about slowing down and enjoying the process. Also, with the 1/4" markings on the pieces, I achieved better matching and points than I have ever been able to do 25 years later with a machine.

alderdweller 10-11-2012 10:42 AM

After further thought, I've decided we limit ourselves so much. Why in the world can't I do both? For whatever reason, it never occurred to me that I can have the best of both worlds.
After all the years of working outside the home, raising children and having to schedule time for myself, I am finding it hard to adjust to all this extra time. Amazing how circumstances change, and I have to remind myself, my schedule (as in none) is different now. I no longer have time restraints. Actually kinda makes me melancholy....