Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Golden Threads (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/golden-threads-t196277.html)

quiltertutor 07-30-2012 04:25 PM

Golden Threads

Has anyone used stencils, pounce pad, or Golden threads paper? How did it work for you?

nena 07-30-2012 04:28 PM

Hated the pounce pads. Just did not work for me.

auntpiggylpn 07-30-2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by nena (Post 5406844)
Hated the pounce pads. Just did not work for me.

I used pounce only once, when I was taking my FMQ class. We used it along with the Glad Press & Seal to mark a design on our test piece. I agreed with my instructor when he said he didn't understand why it was called Pounce because it doesn't work if you pat it (pounce) it on the fabric. We had to rub it across the stencil to get it to transfer the design to the fabric.

QuiltNama 07-30-2012 05:15 PM

I use the golden threads paper but find the office supply store carries rolls of tracing paper that work just as well. Also use the pounce pad, but you only pounce the pad to get the powder flowing then swipe over the top of the stencil. If you have too much powder than you are patting instead of swiping. I use the powder that irons off (test your fabric before doing the whole quilt.)

mucky 07-30-2012 05:53 PM

I have a pounce pad I,ve never used but have used both of the other methods. I use whatever works best for the design and fabric I'm using.

spokanequilter 07-30-2012 06:24 PM

I've had good luck with stencils and Pounce pads. The key to the pounce is to swipe them over the stencils, like you would with an eraser on a blackboard. If you actually pounce, you have a mess...

Pat625 07-30-2012 06:42 PM

I use stencils with regular sticks of chalk,...never had a problem, but have to work by area. If you mark out too much it may be gone by the time you get to the end!!

Quiltngolfer 07-31-2012 06:28 AM

I use them all and like them all. I rub the pounce pad over the stencil. Mine works great. I heard a tip to use a foam paint brush with the Pounce powder and rub it over the stencil. Haven't tried that yet. Some patterns I like to trace on Golden Threads paper. It is great to do blocks. I trace on 1 and sew without thread over a stack of 6. It work great without tracing so much.

stormwater 07-31-2012 06:57 AM

I live by the 25 lb. tracing paper available at Michael's. While you have to cut it down from 9x12 to 8.5x12, it runs through my Kodak printer, which means that I can using various computer programs to increase/decrease the size of the quilting patter to fit my borders and blocks and to line up in the corners.

omaluvs2quilt 07-31-2012 08:41 AM

Stormwater, do you have any trouble with the ink from the printer transferring to your quilt? I've been printing out the pattern and then tracing it onto the golden thread paper with a micron pen to avoid the ink transfer. I finally bought the iron off pounce and will try that next (really hate pealing off all that paper, but do find that the golden threads works the best of what I've tried).