Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Is this a good deal? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-deal-t200800.html)

LAQUITA 09-17-2012 07:11 PM

Is this a good deal?

This is a preowned customer return item that has been fully tested and is working. Get it for a fraction of the price of a new unit. These retail for $330 on Amazon and more in stores. Get it for only $210 at BAM Liquidation. Check out link below for more info.

http://www.amazon.com/SINGER-9960-Qu...ds=singer+9960

Just needing some help deciding. What do you think, is this a good idea?
Thanks for the help.

Lori S 09-17-2012 07:22 PM

I did not see anything about a warrenty? I would not touch it without a warrenty. Where would you be able to get it serviced if you needed it.

Prism99 09-17-2012 07:40 PM

It might be a good deal if you have tried out this machine at a dealership (or other place) and know you like that specific brand and model. I would not purchase a machine like this if I had not tried out the same model elsewhere.

Edit: For me, the warranty is not important at this price point. Most machines never need warranty servicing, and I could afford to either pay for repairs myself or dump the machine if an expensive computerized board quit working.

rush88888 09-18-2012 01:21 AM

one thing i noticed is that the harp space (i'm not sure if this is the right term - the space where you put your hand through to the back to the lever that moves the presser foor up and down) is very small. you certainly couldn't quilt anything very large on this machine. i would also want a warranty so that you can test it out and make sure that everything is ok. some people consider a machine that is priced at around $200 as a throw-away, which means that if it breaks down after a certain amount of time, it is not worth fixing and can be thrown away. what kind of machine do you own now? are you looking to replace it with this?

moonrise 09-18-2012 01:31 AM

I don't have any firsthand experience with newer Singers, but I've heard from multiple people that they "don't make 'em like they used to". In other words, the quality has supposedly gone downhill. Perhaps some other forum members have firsthand experience and can offer their opinions. :)

moonrise 09-18-2012 01:36 AM

I was just reading the reviews and noticed this comment. Might be worth checking to see exactly which machine is for sale before purchasing it. :)

...Lastly, I want to mention that you should be receiving the updated model. Initially, when this machine came out a couple of years ago, there were some issues with the bobbin jamming. So I think that is why some people were hesitant on purchasing this model since a number of early reviews mention this problem. But Singer corrected this issue at the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011 and added a blue swirl graphic to the front of the machine. So if you have the machine with the graphic, you're getting the newer version and won't have this issue.

MimiBug123 09-19-2012 06:35 AM

Usually, if it was returned, there was a good reason. I would take my money and look for a vintage machine. It won't thread itself or cut threads, but will last forever and you can service it yourself.

Deborahlees 09-19-2012 07:27 AM

I agree, a good used machine from a local shop, would be a better way to go....IMHO....a service center is worth its weight in gold, however they are getting harder and harder to find. I currently have to travel almost a hundred miles to get my Brother machine serviced here in Southern California. I always call ahead and plan on spending the day as they will repair while I wait.... Bernina repair is only 25 miles away.

LadyElisabeth 09-19-2012 11:45 AM

Having a shop with a service center you can trust is VERY important. Making sure you can trust the people working or your machine is "worth its' weight in gold"

Tink's Mom 09-19-2012 11:55 AM

If it is warrantied...and with the blue swirl that is in the review...I would say YES.

That is a good series of machine from Singer....since they worked out the bug on the bobbin case.