Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   This Gorgeous Fabric Has Me Stumped! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gorgeous-fabric-has-me-stumped-t224176.html)

moonrise 06-20-2013 10:43 PM

This Gorgeous Fabric Has Me Stumped!

1 Attachment(s)
I saw this holiday fabric two years ago, fell in love with it, and bought 3 yards of each. They all have metallic gold accents that don't show up well in the photo, but they're so luxurious in person. :)

The problem is that, even after two years, I *still* can't decide what to do with it! :o The reason I'm having trouble is because of the large scale of the medallion print (the one on top, in my photo - see the ruler for a reference). It would be a shame to cut it up into small pieces and lose the medallion pattern.

All this time, I've been taking it out of my cabinet occasionally, looking at it and petting it ;), but I always end up putting it back in my stash for fear of "messing it up" by using the "wrong" pattern.

I thought about cutting a large panel of the medallion fabric and using the accent fabrics to make blocks to frame the panel. That's about the only thing I can come up with.

Here's the photo. The blue fabric on the bottom left isn't quite that bright in person. It blends nicely with the others (it's part of the same line - Holiday Flourish by Robert Kaufman).

What would you do?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]420264[/ATTACH]

GailG 06-21-2013 02:16 AM

I like your idea of using the medallion as a panel and making blocks with the other fabrics. Beautiful fabric!

sweetana3 06-21-2013 03:13 AM

I would pick some geometrics, batiks and other prints that coordinate with the brown, cream, and green and use the medallion in the center. It is great to have a focal fabric and a couple of direct coordinates. Makes finding others much easier.

It will be gorgeous.

judylg 06-21-2013 03:15 AM

Gorgeous fabric, that falls right into the category...of not wanting to cut it, so lovely.

Tartan 06-21-2013 04:25 AM

​I loved the 4 Patch Posy that someone did with an animal panel in the middle surrounded by rows of the pieced blocks. That would work for your fabric or the asymmetrical Asian setting with one large rectangle with panels on one side and bottom.

DebraK 06-21-2013 04:59 AM

your idea is a good one.

Annie68 06-21-2013 05:12 AM

Wow, beautiful fabric, I'm sure you'll put that to good use and come out with a lovely quilt.

Gladygirl 06-21-2013 05:30 AM

I have the same fabric and have the same problem-also had the same idea of how to use it-will be watching to see if there are any more ideas--it is such beautiful fabric that I don't even want to cut into it.

lakekids 06-21-2013 05:40 AM

You could use it to make kaleidoscope blocks. Yes, you would lose the beautiful full medallion but you could make endless kaleidoscope block combinattions.

Or you could fussy cut portions of the medallion and use as block centers.

You could cut a full medalion as the center to you in a medallion style quilt and then use the other as either kaliedoscope blocks or fussy cut centers.

You could cut a full medallion on the back and use the fabric in blocks on the front.

Or make a 'very wide' border using the fabric.

joyce888 06-21-2013 05:40 AM

Wow I've got some of that same line but didn't see the large print. Is it too big for borders? If not that's what I would try to use it for or do as you said cut a large part and use as a panel. Would also be pretty to make some of the blocks into kaleidoscope pattern.