Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Got a frustrating email from McCalls Quilting Magazine (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/got-frustrating-email-mccalls-quilting-magazine-t69070.html)

garysgal 10-08-2010 12:45 PM

ok, I am not trying to start another 20 plus pages of rage against the copy-right laws, but I just got a frustrating email from McCalls Quilting magazine.
I read the first article on the copy-right laws and then read the second issue's article which didn't say much.
My reason for emailing McCalls was that someone one the board wanted a pattern from a back issue. I had the issue and wanted to send her a copy of the pattern, so I emailed McCalls and asked if this was ok. They replied that it was an infringement of the copy-right law. So then I emailed again and asked if I could loan her my issue so she could use it (and pointed out that she could maybe go to the library and check out the issue and get a copy of the pattern that way.) I got a reply from McCalls saying:
"This is such a complex issue regarding copyrights and not all answers are cut and dried, but yes, I do believe you can loan her your issue and she can make a project. Thanks so much for asking! "

So now my question: I could mail her the magazine and she could use it and mail it back, but why can't I just send her a copy of the pattern? I don't consider myself stupid, but maybe I am missing something here. Is it the actual copying and sending that is illegal, or the fact that she didn't buy the pattern rights? Yet I can loan the magazine. Something doesn't seem to be right with this.

carhop 10-08-2010 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal
ok, I am not trying to start another 20 plus pages of rage against the copy-right laws, but I just got a frustrating email from McCalls Quilting magazine.
I read the first article on the copy-right laws and then read the second issue's article which didn't say much.
My reason for emailing McCalls was that someone one the board wanted a pattern from a back issue. I had the issue and wanted to send her a copy of the pattern, so I emailed McCalls and asked if this was ok. They replied that it was an infringement of the copy-right law. So then I emailed again and asked if I could loan her my issue so she could use it (and pointed out that she could maybe go to the library and check out the issue and get a copy of the pattern that way.) I got a reply from McCalls saying:
"This is such a complex issue regarding copyrights and not all answers are cut and dried, but yes, I do believe you can loan her your issue and she can make a project. Thanks so much for asking! "

So now my question: I could mail her the magazine and she could use it and mail it back, but why can't I just send her a copy of the pattern? I don't consider myself stupid, but maybe I am missing something here. Is it the actual copying and sending that is illegal, or the fact that she didn't buy the pattern rights? Yet I can loan the magazine. Something doesn't seem to be right with this.

You are just loaning her a copy of the pattern

laureneberhard 10-08-2010 12:49 PM

Make a copy and send it to her....in my humble opinion. Less postage too.

shequilts 10-08-2010 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by garysgal

For crying out loud, send her a copy of the pattern. If the laws are that vague, then forget it. I've loaned patterns before, and I'll do it again. If I own it, I'll do what I please with it and that includes giving it away!

Please: Let's don't start a big debate on this issue. It's just a matter of common sense.

Rhonda 10-08-2010 12:56 PM

Make a copy and loan her the copy!! LOL

msariano 10-08-2010 12:59 PM

Amen to what shequilts said.
If your friend gets in trouble because she made a quilt from a pattern in McCalls Magazine and then sold the quilt, let MCalls come after her. Her defense could be that she got the pattern from you! (just kidding)

newquilter10 10-08-2010 12:59 PM

Make the copy and send it.

Pam B 10-08-2010 01:19 PM

Well...I am not going to read all these comments but I will say this....I would never have bothered emailing McCalls about this in the first place. I would have gone ahead and just made a copy and sent it to my friend. I do NOT ever photocopy and share a pattern I purchase at the LQS...but, in my opinion, magazines are just a little different. Who is to know whether or not the person making the quilt purchased the magazine? If I check a magazine out of the public library, I DO photocopy a pattern if I want to make it. There is no way I can make a quilt in the 2days that I am allowed to keep that periodical checked out.

virtualbernie 10-08-2010 01:21 PM

I think the problem is the "physical copy". If you "loan" her the magazine and she makes her own copy then the copyright infringement is on her not you.

merridancer 10-08-2010 01:21 PM

The only problem is if you "sell" the pattern to her.

On the other hand, they would never know.....