Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grace Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grace-frame-t87423.html)

pattybetty 01-03-2011 04:17 PM

Has anyone had any success using their home machine on the grace frame? I haven't been successful and then with the limitation of only quilting about 4" back to front because of the throat space. Also if you quilt the entire area how do you quilt the borders along the sides? Do you take it out and turn the quilt. If you can share some ideas I would appreciate it.

leatheflea 01-03-2011 04:27 PM

Cant wait to hear the answers, I too have just started using a quilt frame and theres somethings I dont understand, and this would be one of them.

CoyoteQuilts 01-03-2011 04:49 PM

I didn't have a grace frame, but a super quilter table top that I used my domestic Pfaff on. I just did meander and went all across the whole quilt. I, too had a limited space which really amounted to 1.5 to 2 inches at the end of the quilt so I didn't experiment with much. There is several youtube videos by people that are successful with these types of set ups.

Good luck on your search.

2 Doods 01-03-2011 04:56 PM

I used a Bernina with my Grace frame when I first got it. I just did meandering so the length didn't matter. What bothered me was that the machine would get hot from running fast for the extended time. I would have to just to a little and then let the machine rest. (It is an older Bernina that was my MILs) Now I have a Juki TL-97Q that will happily stitch fast, fast, fast and is happy to run for a long time without smelling hot. It has a little longer throat too.

sewwhat85 01-03-2011 07:00 PM

havent tried one only long arm

Homespun 01-03-2011 07:19 PM

I just go all the way across including the border.

fabric whisperer 01-03-2011 07:24 PM

I would like to know, have always wondered if I could somehow "rig" my husqvarna Sapphire (deep throat) to my Gracie Z44 frame -- I long for a longarm and that would possibly satiate me for awhile until I can afford the Queen Quilter I want!

tjradj 01-03-2011 07:45 PM

I have an original Inspira frame. I used my DSM on it before I got my Janome Horizon.
Practicing with my home sewing machine first was a good way to get the feel of frame quilting even though the throat space was only 6"
Now that I have the 11" Horizon on it - I love it! I can do patterns up to 8" even to the end of the quilt.
I do tend to do my borders after I've taken it off the frame, but I do things a bit differently.
I like to do my bindings before the final quilting of the borders. I find that the borders don't stretch out when I do this , and my main reason is I really don't like the look when a border design gets chopped off by the binding, so I quilt that last and make it fit without hitting the binding.
I have also added my borders after quilting the middle.
I quilt the main portion of the quilt being careful not to go off the edge of the top piece and onto the remaining batting and back. Then I take it off the frame and add my borders in the sew and flip method, so the seam acts as stitch in the ditch quilting for the border.This way my Stitch in the ditch is really invisible, and it's straight!

DEG0628 01-03-2011 08:08 PM

I have a Grace Pinnacle Frame. It came with a Brother 1500S. I'm new to quilting so I don't have anything to compare it with. I'm very happy with my setup. I can only work with a 4 or 5 inch pantograph so it takes time for me to do a large quilt. If you want to do different stitching on the borders, do the entire quilt and save the outside borders for last. Yes, you have to take it off the frame and put it back on again, but once the middle of the quilt is quilted, it's really very easy.

fabric whisperer 01-03-2011 08:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the frame I have... and the larger throat quilter (10" throat, I can jam a King in there and still maneuver)
You mean I may be able to put them together somehow?!? I would never come out of my sewing room again!!!