Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grace Machine Quilting Frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grace-machine-quilting-frame-t4396.html)

monkey wrench 02-05-2008 07:10 PM

Does anyone out there have one of these? I am waiting on the delivery of the GMQ Pro. The juki machine, stitch regulator and all kinds of other goodies started arriving today. What am I in for as far as learning curve? Any words from the wise?

Thanks!

Scott

june6995 02-05-2008 07:39 PM

Scott, I have had a GMQ Pro frame since just before Christmas. After months of research I chose the Bailey mid-arm quilter and so far I like it. The problems I had were not with the frame or machine...they were with the old lady who was playing "Speed demon" on the controls. But once I realized that breaking needles and thread is all a part of the learning process, and took my foot off the gas, I began to get along pretty well with it.

I was not sure that age 73 was a good time to invest in this equipment but I was tired of paying to have the quilting done. I want to do it myself. I now think I am on my way....to getting the hang of it.

monkey wrench 02-05-2008 07:49 PM

June -

I am so impressed by you, and we just met. I really admire you for taking on the challenge of the frame, machine quilting, etc.

I've heard that breaking needles comes from speeding. I will have to remember my Grandmother when I start learning. She allowed me to drive her oldsmobile on dirt roads while vacationing at her cabin. I was 14 at the time.

Feed a little gas now. Now brake a little, now brake a little, Scott!!

Have you finished a quilt yet?

Scott

june6995 02-05-2008 08:00 PM

Oh yes, I took the first "real quilt" off the frame on Monday and put the binding on. As I was making it and breaking thread, I decided this would not have a label or be given to any of the Charities I like to make quilts for. As I was sewing the binding it occured to me that I needed to put it on my bed, so I could admire it and say" don't forget you did this wrong" and need to correct it on the next one. I had another "dumb" quilt that was made of 3" squares in a Trip Around the World design. It was great for practice, i made circles and curly-ques in each block. Then I made flowers and anything else that came to my mind. It has some skipped areas where the thread broke and no stitching took place. I will put it back on the frame someday and add to it. But it was purely "lesson #1" and not for show and tell. It is my Secret!

Do one thing at a time and learn at your own pace. And above all else, ENJOY being able to finish your own quilts in a lot less time. Just think of all the money you will save. I am keeping track until I know I have paid for my equipment with my own work.

monkey wrench 02-05-2008 08:09 PM

That's great. Congrats on finishing the first one. You've got a health attitude about learning.

My investment was $2500. I bet I could get more than a handful of quilts quilted for that amount.

What pushed me into the purchase was having just about ruining my shoulders and neck passing a King quilt through my Janome 6600P. I love that machine, but quilting a king sized quilt with a moderate batting was brutal. I'm 44 years old, in good shape, active, etc. I am still suffering from a sore neck, shoulders, and numb hands from that project.

Yvonne 02-05-2008 08:33 PM

Hey there,
I don't have a machine quilting frame but do have a Grace hand quilting frame.
The Grace Co. are a very reliable company. I called about a couple of pieces that hadn't traveled well and they were replaced immediately with no questions. They also sent along a dvd that answered a lot of questions. The Grace Co. is a very consumer friendly company so don't hesitate to ask them for help if you need any.

monkey wrench 02-05-2008 08:43 PM

Thanks Yvonne. That's good to hear.

Scott

2 Doods 02-06-2008 02:54 PM

I have a Grace frame. I bought it on Craig's list from a lady that became unable to use it. (health reasons).

I have only made 5 quilts to date and do not understand how someone can live without a frame. I would never be able to quilt without Grace.

Santa brought me a Juki TL 98Q. I have only quilted one quilt so far with the new machine. So much faster tham my Bernina that I used to use with Grace. Nina and Gracie did well together but I think Juki and Gracie will be an even better team!

Almost ready to put # 2 on and get started.

Good luck with yours!

monkey wrench 02-06-2008 03:50 PM

Hi Two Dudes!

Thanks for the encouragement. The Juki came yesterday, and I am using it to piece a quilt top that I had started. That thing soars! How about the construction of those presser feet?

I can't wait for the frame to come. I have three very simple quilt kits, all alike, that I can throw together for practice. Well, won't blow the first time on a quilt, but you get the drift. These are lap robes, so they won't take much to comlete.

Thanks again, and good luck on Number two.

Scott

monkey wrench 02-06-2008 03:52 PM

Do you mind me asking what brand of thread you are using?