Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grace True Cut Rotory Cutter and Ruler (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grace-true-cut-rotory-cutter-ruler-t90206.html)

LCKnaff 01-13-2011 02:35 PM

Has anyone tried the Grace Rotory Cutter and Ruler? Have you tried the rotory blade sharpener? It seems like a good idea. Information appreciated

hobbykat1955 01-13-2011 02:47 PM

Haven't but heard from friends not to waste your money on the shapener...

feffertim 01-13-2011 04:43 PM

I heard the same thing about the sharpener. Don't bother

AliKat 01-13-2011 05:00 PM

Tried the ruler and cutter at the Houston show and found I didn't like them.

I much prefer my Alto's QuiltCut2 for cutting.

ali

feffertim 01-13-2011 06:13 PM

I just bought a quilt cut 2, can't wait for it to arrive.

AliKat 01-13-2011 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by feffertim
I just bought a quilt cut 2, can't wait for it to arrive.

I just know you will love it like I do mine. It does the angles so well. Funny thing: when I first got it I kept a rotary ruler nearby to check the distances. After a bit I finally stopped doing that. It does its job well.

ali

LCKnaff 01-14-2011 08:25 AM

I have heard of the quiltcut2. Did some research and will look at it at my local show. How much cutting do you do? I don't know if the cost justifies the use for me.
Do you sharpen blades? Haven't had much luck with sharpeners.

AliKat 01-14-2011 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by LCKnaff
I have heard of the quiltcut2. Did some research and will look at it at my local show. How much cutting do you do? I don't know if the cost justifies the use for me.
Do you sharpen blades? Haven't had much luck with sharpeners.

The Alto's is just a measuring system where you can select the various angles to cut. You use your own rotary cutter: Martelli, Olfa, Fiskars, or whatever. It holds the fabric secure while I don't have to worry about my ruler slipping or my hands shaking, as it takes only one pressure point to hold it in place. Once set on a size I can quickly cut strips and pieces quicker than I would be able to do with the standard rotary ruler and cutter. Setting the size is extremely easy too. Since I do have arthritis in my hands it helps me keep on quilting ... the Alto's and my trusty Pfaffs.

ali

tts 09-23-2011 02:30 PM

I obtained the electric rotary blade sharpender as well as the manual balde sharpener. Do not waste your money on the electric sharpener as it dulls your blades worse then what they were before you started. I was very disappointed with both sharpenders, especially the electric sharpender.

lonestardreams 09-23-2011 06:33 PM

I have the Grace Tru cut blade sharpener and do use and like it. It is not a round sharpener but a long tool that you slide the blade in- back and forth. It will not sharpen a dull blade but used before you start cutting for the day, it will put a sharp edge on your blade. It is not electric.