Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grace Z44 Frame Floor frame quilter advise wanted. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grace-z44-frame-floor-frame-quilter-advise-wanted-t217692.html)

familyfun 03-29-2013 09:08 AM

Grace Z44 Frame Floor frame quilter advise wanted.

I am considering buying this frame because I love to hand quilt but Hate to baste and I general do large (king/queen projects). The adjustments and the look of this frame look wonderful.
My only concern is my stiches are smallest when I quilt from right to left or towards me. I currently have a q snap frame but I just cant get my body or the frame in a comfortable position to quilt so I dont like to use it. I usually end up quilting in a hoop at a large table so I dont have to have the quilt all around me or the drag.
I looked at the floor hoop roatating frames but they are not much cheaper and then I have the basting to consider.
For Those of you who use this frame or a similar floor model.
Do you think it has enough adjustments that I can get comfortable? (videos look like it)
Was it easy to get used to?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

dott443 03-29-2013 02:41 PM

I have the Grace EZ3 which I hand quilt on. What I don't like about it is not being able to see on the underside. I often find a thread snag after finishing. The other thing I have a problem with is changing the size from a crib to king size frame. My DH helps me now, but I would have a lot of trouble doing this by myself. I also find it hard to quilt from different directions on a frame. It is easy to sandwich your quilt, no more knees on the floor. I am now considering going to some type of hoop and getting rid of the EZ3

familyfun 03-29-2013 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by dott443 (Post 5963771)
I have the Grace EZ3 which I hand quilt on. What I don't like about it is not being able to see on the underside. I often find a thread snag after finishing. The other thing I have a problem with is changing the size from a crib to king size frame. My DH helps me now, but I would have a lot of trouble doing this by myself. I also find it hard to quilt from different directions on a frame. It is easy to sandwich your quilt, no more knees on the floor. I am now considering going to some type of hoop and getting rid of the EZ3

hhhmm... Thank you so much for replying.. I have debating and checking prices ALL day.. I was going to call sew vac direct and see if they will price match sewing machine plus price.. I am still thinking about it.. thanks again for replying. Hope other will to.

Hinterland 03-29-2013 03:14 PM

You could use the frame to baste the quilt, then take it to a hoop for quilting - some machine quilters use the frame for just that thing.

I have a floor frame and taught myself to quilt away from myself by using a tailor's thimble on my thumb. My stitches are just as good, and I can now quilt in all directions.

Good luck with your decision.

Janet

riutzelj 03-30-2013 01:09 PM

i bought one of these from a gal whose mom left it when she passed. i love it. I can quilt from all directions with it. changing sizes does mean replacing part of the frame with longer or shorter lengths. i can do it by myself, though it is easier to have someone holding one end for the bigger sizes. i like how the tension stays taut throughout the quilting process.