Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grandmothers Flower Garden - Question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grandmothers-flower-garden-question-t103818.html)

cowpie2 02-28-2011 09:35 AM

I've been wanting to do a Grandmothers flower garden using the English Paper Piecing method. Connecting Threads sells the papers in different sizes and I'm debating what size to use. I know I don't want to do the small hexigons. But should I go with the ones that are 3" across or 4" across. I don't want the hexigons to be huge, but I want them to be kind of patchwork in size. I'll hand quilt the finished quilt 1/4" inside each seam. If I use Hobbs 80/20 or Hobbs Wool, would the 4" across need more than just the one line of quilting inside each piece? (3" finished would be quilted about every 2 1/2 and the 4" finished would be quilted about every 3 1/2).

LaurieE 02-28-2011 10:00 AM

Hexagons are measured across one edge, not across the entire hexagon. Now with that said, the size hexagon you choose is really personal preference.

To help you decide, answer these questions (don't post your answers) --
1. how long do I want to work on this? The smaller the hexagon, the longer it will take to finish

2. Do I want an entire quilt of hexagons or do you just want to learn the EPP technique? In that case, make a placemat.

I'm in the process of making a quilt with hexagons. I started out with a 2" hexagon (side measurement not across) and decided that it was really too big for what I wanted. So I dropped down to the 1.5" size and I was much happier with that.

I use the freezer paper technique for my hexagons. There's a tutorial here: http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2009...r-piecing.html
I find the fabric doesn't shift like it normally did when I used regular paper hexagons. Yes, it's more time intensive, but it's also cheaper.

cowpie2 02-28-2011 10:13 AM

Sometimes I just need someone to point out the logic to me. Good directions - and I have a gi-normous roll of freezer paper. I think I'll try a few different sizes, see if I like it and then proceed on to a quilt size if I enjoy working on it. The practice will help me decide on size too. Thank you!

ckcowl 02-28-2011 10:15 AM

for a beginner english paper piecer you may find that 1"- 1 1/2" is a good size...these will make a flower a little over 6" across....good to applique onto 8" or 9" blocks. my favorite size is the 1/2" but all the sizes are great to work with.

llcox 02-28-2011 05:57 PM

I am working on a 3/4 inch. Won't do that again. I love it but will stop with a lap quilt.

Have you seen this shop?

http://paperpieces.com/index.html

cowpie2 03-01-2011 05:16 AM

I hadn't seen that shop - thanks for the link.

humbird 03-01-2011 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by cowpie2
Sometimes I just need someone to point out the logic to me. Good directions - and I have a gi-normous roll of freezer paper. I think I'll try a few different sizes, see if I like it and then proceed on to a quilt size if I enjoy working on it. The practice will help me decide on size too. Thank you!

That was my thought to try a few different sizes to get where you want to go. My personal preference is 1 in. hexies. I did a few 1/2 inch to use in a border. Those are really cute. 3/4 is nice also. I have not used larger than 1 in. It actually goes pretty quickly once you get started. I work on mine during down time and it's surprising how much you can get done in 10 to 15 min. from time to time, or a the evening in front of a boring TV program! I haven't used the freezer paper method, but it is interesting, and looks like it would be very accurate. Have fun with your project!!

cowpie2 03-01-2011 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by humbird

Originally Posted by cowpie2

That was my thought to try a few different sizes to get where you want to go. My personal preference is 1 in. hexies. I did a few 1/2 inch to use in a border. Those are really cute. 3/4 is nice also. I have not used larger than 1 in. It actually goes pretty quickly once you get started. I work on mine during down time and it's surprising how much you can get done in 10 to 15 min. from time to time, or a the evening in front of a boring TV program! I haven't used the freezer paper method, but it is interesting, and looks like it would be very accurate. Have fun with your project!!

Thank you - I've always loved the flower garden pattern and thought this would be a perfect airplane project. If I have the freezer paper ironed on before I leave, I can baste and assemble with minimal elbow room needed.